Do-it-Yourself Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stone

Contributor
Reaction score
We live in Valparaiso, FL and dive out of Destin,
I'm posting this under "Basic Scuba Discussions" because you don't have to be a "Tech" diver to fill your own tanks. If you dive only air (at $4 a fill), then setting up your own fill station is probably not worth it. If you dive Nitrox ($8 or more a fill), then your return on investment is not only more realistic, but you might save $1000 or more a year.

Here is a link to some pictures and comments on my new Nitrox blending station (under construction). If you have been to this site before, you might have to "refresh" your screen.

Nitrox Station

Bob3 once bubbled...
Geez, wish I had that much extra room in the shop, mine is filled with dive gear. :wink:
You going to add a cascade system to that too?

Maybe I should post a picture of the gear and reg repair sections of the garage. I pride myself on fitting a lot into a little space (no inuendo intended).

The cascade doesn't buy me anything until I get an autodrain and other fail-safes. Since I have to babysit the filling process, it doesn't matter if I'm filling individual tanks or a bank.

another one kinda like it is going in at my place within the next month or so.

I think I'm settled on the Alkin W31 though - a bit smaller than the Oceanus, but a lot less expensive, still low RPM, and if I change from my current sportfish to a trawler I can expect to be able to start it from an 8kw Generator - not a trivial consideration, given how much I love boats :)

I just got a 5.5 kw generator with 8.5 kw surge....Can't wait till summer time...

The power went out today, so I thought I'd get a head start on the hurricane season and crank up my little 4.4 kW generator. The gas is a year old, so I headed up to the Auto Store to buy some gas stabilizer. On the car radio, I found out that the power failed because a USAF jet crashed on approach to Eglin AFB (about a mile from my house).

No serious injuries.

is that while you have capital costs with your own fill system, you get rid of ALL of the Dive shop BS at the same time you save money.

The compressor really doesn't depreciate much. Yes, it costs money to maintain, and time, but what doesn't?

The "we need a day to fill your tank" crap completely goes away. So does the driving (which costs money, natch.) You can make your own custom mixes, to the limit of your ability or willingness. If you want to dive Trimix, you can make that too. You want to fill your own O2 bottle? Cool - have at it. No BS required. None of it is really difficult, and its also not REALLY that dangerous, if you pay attention. Oh sure, its not zero risk, but how many people use welding gear (with O2 in there - oxyacetylene torches) all the time? If you stand around at the fill station while the shop fills your tank, if your tank explodes you're just as dead as if it happens in your garage. No difference there at all.

On top of that its cheaper. Possibly a LOT cheaper. Figure refillable cartridges good for 3000 cuft can cost $20/shot, and the "throwaways" are in the $30-35 range. That's 10 cents/cuft, or about $1 for each HP100. The O2 to make Nitrox for an AL80 is about fifty CENTS. Power is inconsequential; with a 3kw motor each AL80 costs you perhaps a dime to fill (at 6c/kwh) So your "per fill" cost is under $2 for "recreational" EANx mixes, ignoring depreciation on the hardware.

Can you reasonably do that? Sure. The typical compressor will run 1,000 hours before you have to pull the heads and replace the valves. Oil changes are every what - 100 hours or so? Each hour on a 3.5cu/ft FAD compressor will pump 210 cubic feet of gas, or 21,000 for each oil change, and 210,000 for each head overhaul. That's 210 HP100 tanks for each oil change, and 2,100 tanks for each head overhaul!

That's a LOT of diving.

Let's look at the math.

Say you buy an Alkin W31 ($2500), the pressure-maintaining valve for it (its not included) for another $50 or so, make up an O2 whip ($100) and buy a couple of decent digital gauges ($225). You have about $3,000 in the set-up.

Ok, how long before the compressor is FREE?

Let's say that we allow $0.50/tank for oil and maintenance. That's WAY conservative - the real value is probably closer to a dime.

Your actual cost of a fill of EANx is about $2 in power, O2, and filter media. You would pay $10 for that fill, plus tax - call it $11, which is pretty close.

Ok, so you save $8.50 for each fill.

In 352 fills the entire setup is paid for - completely amortized.

If you dive 100 dives/year, you pay for the entire filling station in under four years, have gone through four oil changes (time, not hours), roughly 10 filter cartridges, and the heads are due to come off in about another six years for the first "top end" job. The compressor is barely broken in.

If you have a buddy who dives with you and goes in on the gear with 'ya, then cut that time in half.

If you add a Lawrence Factor "zerofilter", to get OCA (which you might want to do if you're going to do PP blending), then add $1,000 to the capital cost and about a buck a fill to the per-tank costs. What you save is the more-frequent teardown and cleaning of your tanks to remove accumulated contamination.

Gee, this is tough to figure out. NOT!

Back
Top Bottom