Less flights to Hawaii, what will that mean for the Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I saw on the news that Honolulu will lose 20% of it's air service due to fuel costs. I wonder how that will effect things.

Less flights = less tourists

I think a lot of things will suffer. Our 2nd largest source of income is tourism, just think what is connected to that. Jobs, entire industries will be effected.

I'm trying to book a flight to Seattle and the rates are going up every day. I need to get approval for vacation time before I book.

It's frustrating!

Anyway, everything in Hawaii is going to go up. I predict that rooms and car rentals will go down, eventually, as demand goes down.

I bought my ticket to Chicago months ago. It is now $400 more than when I started looking

Kinda reminds you of the times after 9/11. I was here on vacation in the October after that and the towers of most hotels were dark. They started selling off some of the suites.

I predict some huge changes in Hawaii once the Asian markets really fall. people commuting to Honolulu from Ewa once the real estate gets upside down will really be in dire straights with rising food costs.

Food cost is a big story, world wide right now.
JB and I always split dinners everywhere we go.
I don't think we have even begun to feel the pain.....
mostly due to Asian bargain hunters shopping for housing and goods with the weak dollar.

That is all that is propping up Honolulu right now.

Hey, look at the bright side: At least we have Muffi!

I had this strange call the other day..some poll asking me all sort of questions about him. At the end they wanted my name and address, I said "Are you kidding???!!!" they say he got in a lot of fights in high school and put some guy in a coma. Oh...that is a rumor. But I'll just proceed like it could be true, thanks very much, I don't need a Samoan to kick my butt this week.

(Is he Samoan? or Tongan?)

Can we afford the rail system? Can we NOT?
is the Boat helping?

Is the Japanese market still shrinking? Oh...I hear we will be flooded with South Korean money in June..something about the visa requirements changing. So..now...my neighborhood is almost entirely foreign nationals, and I don't think they pay state income tax...that has to hurt schools and roads, doesn't it?

I think I will just be be a visitor, too. IF I can afford the airfare.

It is not just Hawaii. Flights to the Caribbean from the U.S. are being slashed and fares are ballooning. There is a pretty good sense of panic down here about it.

hmmm...Honolulu routes are very vulnerable considering the HUGE distances involved in servicing us.

I did see many routes are being cut, and Honolulu was at the top of the list. Continental just cut a lot of jobs. Of course, Aloha went bancrupt. I hear Sunshine bakery is in trouble..lots of Hawaii companies sinking, rumor has it.

Gas prices in the US are screwing up everything.

Airfare has gone up dramatically. I guess I should be happy with my $300 per ticket price to FL this summer.

My parents have been visiting Hawaii annually for over a decade. 2009 will be the first year they are planning on going elsewhere, and you can guess why! Bingo... Airfare!

I hope the Hawaiian economy can handle lost business. Not sure what drop there has been to date in ticket sales, but I'm betting it is significant.

Another reason my parents backed off of HI is the crowds. Maybe if those dwindle they will decide to eat the airfare prices, but it does not sound like it.

My family has booked flights (14) to Kauai in July, half of them were on ATA. Those flights were about $500 each. After ATA went belly up, my kids, nieces and nephews were stuck waiting for their refunds (paid by credit card.) However, after getting their credits and trying to book new flights, they were stunned to find the flights were going to be over $800. Since my brother and I had already booked and paid for two large houses in Poipu, we decided to make up the price difference so the whole group would be able to go.

If the flights do not come back down to some reasonable cost, I fear future Hawaiian family trips are not in the cards. My wife and I will still go but more then likely, less often. I can’t imagine how difficult the tourist industry in Hawaii will be in the near future. They may have to focus their marketing strategies to include more Japanese, Asian and European visitors just to survive.

We don't get many Europeans, do we?

Yea, I agree with you about the tourism taking a hit. I don't feel that Hawaii sees it coming when I talk to people. But then , I was struck by how oblivious people seemed on 9-12 when I was out and about...very little discussion until much later in the weeks and months that followed.

I have never felt this way, I think people should be storing food. Ahhhh...Jimbo has gotten to me. He says to keep cash reserves in ones, for Pete's sake. (so you don't lose the change, yikes)

Gas prices in the US are screwing up everything.
I see OPEC is meeting to try and come up with some help. Actually, it is the world demand that is doing us in..China and India boom.

hey, Dave I saw 5 dollar gas in Arcadia, I think. I just gassed up in Bullhead City(cheaper than NV) for the treck to Flagstaff. Kinda pricey road tripping at the moment. They say driving 55 mph saves 5 mph per 10 mph. Tough to do when the speed limit is 75 and your 18 yr old is driving 80.

Back
Top Bottom