The future of dive travel vs local diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instead of going all in on EVs, they probably should have encouraged the industry to pursue hybrids for about 20 years. That way, people could still use the fuel infrastructure, use a lot less fuel, gas prices would stay lower, and it would have given a reasonable amount of time for battery technology to develop and come up with a reasonable timeframe for charging stations, improvement of the grid etc. But as usual, enough politicians want something and they put out mandates that the industry and population aren't ready for or can afford.

Can you say what you just said in plain English please?

لقد حصلنا مؤخرًا على النسخة
الثانية عشرة من مسلسل "Seaway" على شاشة التلفزيون، وأنا أحب هذا العرض

قضيت ما يقرب من ثلاثين عامًا في البرد، بنفس نوع خط العرض والغوص مثل كاليفورنيا ولكن في النصف الآخر من الكرة الأرضية
ثم 20 عامًا في الدفء مثل الغوص في كوب من الشاي، اعتدت على النوم، ولكن بعد ذلك أستطيع النوم في البرد أيضًا

نعود الآن إلى البرد ولا يمكن أن يكون الجو أكثر برودة، البرد الغاضب طوال العام، طوال الفصول، المحيط الجنوبي البارد

ولكن لا شيء مثل النرويج

م ********* ر!
laqad hasalna mwkhran ealaa alnuskhat althaaniat eashrat min musalsal "Seaway" ealaa shashat altilfizyuni, wa'ana 'uhibu hadha aleard
qadiat ma yaqrib min thalathin eaman fi albardu, binafs nawe khati aleard walghaws mithl kalifurnia walakin fi alnisf alakhar min alkurat al'ardia
thuma 20 eaman fi aldif' mithl alghaws fi kub min alshaay, aietadat ealaa alnuwmi, walakin baed dhalik 'astatie alnawm fi albard aydan
naeud alan 'iilaa albard wala yumkin 'an yakun aljawu 'akthar burudati, albard alghadib tawal aleami, tawal alfusuli, almuhit aljanubii albarid
walakin la shay' mithl alnurwij
m ********* ra!

"I lllove diving"

Instead of going all in on EVs, they probably should have encouraged the industry to pursue hybrids for about 20 years. That way, people could still use the fuel infrastructure, use a lot less fuel, gas prices would stay lower, and it would have given a reasonable amount of time for battery technology to develop and come up with a reasonable timeframe for charging stations, improvement of the grid etc. But as usual, enough politicians want something and they put out mandates that the industry and population aren't ready for or can afford.
There are a lot of other things they could do to make people burn less fuel. Start with changing zoning laws so that stores and residential areas are mixed so that people can live a pedestrian lifestyle and not have to hop into the SUV every time they need a quart of milk. Commuting for work is the biggest fuel burner there is. Figure out a way to stop commuting. Relocate industry where people live so they don’t have to drive an hour or two to get into the city for work.
Their answer is to make everybody get electric cars without changing any of the other stuff.
They need to concentrate in getting people out if their cars, not just trading one for the other.
They want to eventually ban natural gas too in California. How am I supposed to heat my home?
They have all but banned wood burning fires too.

Some of you seem convinced but they won't convince the billions awaiting their coal fired industrial revolution

I'd like to throw in some toughts from the otherside of the world:):
There are a lot of other things they could do to make people burn less fuel. Start with changing zoning laws so that stores and residential areas are mixed so that people can live a pedestrian lifestyle and not have to hop into the SUV every time they need a quart of milk.
That idea now even has a funky name - the 15 minutes city. It stipulates that everything you need on a day to day basis shoukd be reachable by foot in 15 minutes. Some cities like Paris or Barcelona are experimenting with it, but unfortunately some dickheads are starting to claim that it will mean that in the future you will be not allowed to leave your assinged quarter :banghead:. I'm lucky enough to live that and yes, people look funny at you if you take a sack barrow to get your crates of beer home, but who cares.
They need to concentrate in getting people out if their cars, not just trading one for the other.
True, but that needs a lot of money to get public transport better. Beeing stuck in a traffic jam is as bad in an EV as it is in a gas guzzler. Again I'm in the lucky position to have access to halve way decent public transport; nowadays I use my car mainly to go diving :auto:.

I think one of the biggest problems is that the whole discussion is quite often focusing on single aspects and ignoring that one sulution does not fit all. Take heating: the city I live in already has and is heavily investing in comunity heating, which is a great solution in a densly populated area. On the other hand, my friends in the more rural areas have mainly gone to solar power and heat pumps.

Nobody has answered one of the original questions:
If travel became too restrictive for any reason to where it became impractical or impossible, would you as a diver seek alternative venues including local diving or cold water diving? I’m trying to establish a baseline here to see how many would choose to continue diving or not to dive at all if it meant no cream puff diving.

Do I need to do another poll?
I'll admit I was never into cold water diving, so if 'cream puff' diving is referencing warm water/coral reef diving, then I'd lose about 99% of my diving motivation if I couldn't do 'cream puff' diving. Local diving in north central Texas is lake/quarry diving....YUCK other than to stay in practice or try out new/repaired gear before a 'real' trip.

I'm lucky to live in an area where the water is warm(ish) depending on the time of year.

I started diving in cold water (Scotland) and miss some of the diving there as I prefer it to be warm and sunny when I surface and not pissing down with rain.

However for me I travel to dive in clearer but not necessarily warmer water.

Something else to consider

I don't have time to do any mathematical calculation here, but I'd guess that people going on cruises probably have a higher carbon footprint than us divers hopping on a plane to dive in warmer waters.

I have always been a think globally, act locally person. I typically ride bike to my office. But as I am about to retire will be driving more so to play. We recycle and have rain barrels. I try to find new homes for items that are still usable. And in general reduce consumption, especially when it comes to products from China. For vacations, I prefer to take one long trip on an airplane then spend lots of time at the destination. Much better than a series of short trips.

I'm lucky to live in an area where the water is warm(ish) depending on the time of year.

I started diving in cold water (Scotland) and miss some of the diving there as I prefer it to be warm and sunny when I surface and not pissing down with rain.

However for me I travel to dive in clearer but not necessarily warmer water.

Something else to consider

I don't have time to do any mathematical calculation here, but I'd guess that people going on cruises probably have a higher carbon footprint than us divers hopping on a plane to dive in warmer waters.
In proper working order, the western world is an insignificant source of pollution. Much of the new Epa rules cause as much harm as good.

India and Asia is where the most effort needs put.

But people don't want to address it, because it's about control, not pollution. And we have little control over those regions.

The EV fan bois conveniently seem to forget that a lot of people don’t have the capability to charge at home. Either you rent or maybe you have a condo or townhouse where installing a charger isn’t possible. Even if I did have the capability to charge at home (which I don’t as I rent), I’m in rural areas way too often to make an EV practical. My next vehicle will be a hybrid, but not a plug in one. I’ll probably go Toyota. A Prius has enough room for all the gear, but has way too little ground clearance for my taste. Corolla Cross hybrid, which is essentially a copy of the Subaru Crosstrek, is high on the list of possibilities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom