The future of dive travel vs local diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nobody has answered one of the original questions:
If travel became too restrictive for any reason to where it became impractical or impossible, would you as a diver seek alternative venues including local diving or cold water diving? I’m trying to establish a baseline here to see how many would choose to continue diving or not to dive at all if it meant no cream puff diving.

Do I need to do another poll?
Wanna dive, then do it locally. Unless you live in Kansas.

Loads of great stuff to dive upon in the colder waters of the north (and California).

There are five refineries in the SF Bay Area.
Two of them will stop producing gasoline in the next two years, and they will produce only the bio fuel you mention.
So that means gasoline will get even more expensive around here.
Is that because it's California and they're moving out due to the political situation there?

Bio fuel... That's growing fuel instead of food. Seems a strange concept.

Diesel engines can burn and run on cooking oil. But not in California.

I would never ship to Cali, if I was still in trucking. What a mess

It's amazing to me that alot of people do not understand that driving there Tesla to the airport to fly across the world, staying on 5 star liveaboard, eating luxury items like imported cheese and steak, taking fancy pictures and reviewing them on all the electronics, but yet they think they are truly being ecofriendly by using a paper straw and protesting against an oil rig or mine that is trying to open.

The realty is scuba diving is probably one of the most non ecofriendly recreational activities you can do when you think about the natural resources evolved in it.
Everyone with more than a few brain cells understands this.

That doesn't mean we should continue to use resources to stupid-excess like:

Single use plastics for water bottles, packaging, fast fashion, etc.
Using SUVs and giant pickup trucks for single passenger commutes.
BS manufacturing standards and policies that discourage repair and long term use.
BS energy policies that encourage consumption over sensible use and conservation.

Drive correctly, and stay home when it snows.​
If you do that, I'll gladly park my prius crusher 2500.​
Generally, I like still having legs after an accident.​

On the plus side, with global warming and sea level rise we will soon be diving the remains of what used to be coastal cities. New Orleans will be the American Venice, at least until the buildings collapse. Most of Florida will be underwater, which should make for some great new dive sites.

This is what your grandkids will be diving in if we don't decarbonize.

And to answer @Eric Sedletzky I already dive local, so no change for me. Sometimes I think I am the only person who does around here.

I already do local/regional cold water diving with a once a year trip down to FL cave country. My MX trip for full cave in 2022 was maybe a one-off, I’m not sure.

My motto is pretty much “If I can’t drive, I don’t dive.”

I did a similar post during the pandemic. People would pretty much rather give up diving than dive locally/cold water.
@Marie13 I know you’re a cold water snob just like me. I prefer it, I’m allergic to water that’s too warm, I don’t like it.
The only thing is you won’t do salt, which is a shame because there is a lot of fantastic salty cold water diving.

On the plus side, with global warming and sea level rise we will soon be diving the remains of what used to be coastal cities. New Orleans will be the American Venice, at least until the buildings collapse. Most of Florida will be underwater, which should make for some great new dive sites.

This is what your grandkids will be diving in if we don't decarbonize.

And to answer @Eric Sedletzky I already dive local, so no change for me. Sometimes I think I am the only person who does around here.
Not only all of that, but maybe with global warming all the lobsters will move up here then I won’t have to go to Socal to get bugs.
During one of the El Niño’s several years ago a lobster was spotted in a crack at the North Monastery wall in Monterey!
However, there is the little problem of the giant Pacific Octopi 🐙 in our area which is why lobsters would never survive.

Nobody has answered one of the original questions:
If travel became too restrictive for any reason to where it became impractical or impossible, would you as a diver seek alternative venues including local diving or cold water diving? I’m trying to establish a baseline here to see how many would choose to continue diving or not to dive at all if it meant no cream puff diving.

Do I need to do another poll?
I already dive up here at home in the cold, dark Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Seaway, they have the best fresh water wreck diving in the world. No where else can you dive a modern 700+ foot freighter and an intact 1800's wooden ship on the same day.

We recently had the dozenth dozenth repeat of the "Seaway" series on TV, I love that show

I did almost thirty years cold, same sort of latitude and diving as California but in the other hemishphere
Then 20 years in warm like diving in a cup of tea, used to fall asleep, but then I can fall asleep in cold too

Now back to cold and it couldn't be cooler, the cold, angry cold all year all seasons cold Southern Ocean

But nothing like Norway

M*********t!

Back
Top Bottom