Diving in CT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DarkFrog

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone,

I'll be visiting Connecticut to see friends and family the second weekend of August to visit friends, but I was hoping to sneak off for a day and get some diving in.

I'm AOW and Nitrox certified.
I have 19 dives logged... Basically just a few per year since I got my C card (but I'm trying to improve my numbers!)
I only have a single salt water dive under my belt.

Am I better off begging for a buddy/local guide here, or should I try to set something up through a shop?

-justin

If you're looking for fresh water diving, check out Brownstone Park http://brownstonepark.com/ they're located in Portland CT. I don't know much about the salt water diving in CT., but from what I've seen on a friends boat, at least Long Island Sound (from Old Saybrook) is mostly sandy (seemed pretty featureless from the depth sounder). You can always do a search on www.anywho.com for dive shops in the area.

Good luck!

Connecticut Scuba Diving Sites - NEDivers.com lists a few dive sites not to far from where I'll be staying. If I don't manage to find anyone willing to show a newcomer around, I'll probably start calling around to shops sometime in July.

Brownstone is a great place for fresh water diving with platforms, boats, trucks, and all kinds of other stuff sitting on ledges after being pushed in over the years. For a nice easy salt water dive hit up Stonington point. Lots of life in and around the rocks. When it gets closer feel free to pm me and I'd be glad to do a couple dives w/ you. For shops, Diver's Cove in Essex is a good place and they do Wednesday night dives at various locations every week. For CT, the further East you go the better!

try Orbit Marine in Bridgeport..They have 2 boats.Dive on wrecks-local tugboats and more.Rocky areas for lobsters..

Where in Ct. will you be visiting? While the state is pretty small, It's a PITA to get through from north to south!

"It's a PITA to get through from north to south!"

According to our car safety instructor, we built the highways following the paths that horses or mules followed just after automobiles became popular.

Where in Ct. will you be visiting? While the state is pretty small, It's a PITA to get through from north to south!

We usually spend a couple nights in Stonington and then one night near New Haven.

Stonington Point is a nice night dive. Dont dive during the day or when the beach is open as there is a local ordinence about diving from the rocks and you cant dive from the beach when its open. We obide by it and contrary to what NEDIVERS website says, its not a good idea to challenge the ordinence. Im looking for a Stonington dive soon.

You can dive early also before the beach opens at Stonington.

It is not that you cant dive during the day ; it is you cant dive from the rocks and the only place to dive from during the day is the beach then that wont allow divers to enter from when open. I would welcome being corrected on this if Im wrong.

Last edited:
I am new to diving and looking for a buddy to help build up my numbers. I have a boat and a few tanks. Docked on Masons Island. Anyone interested in helping me out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom