Galileo Sol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stangd1909

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am thinking of buying this computer....give me the goods and bads on this computer. I currently have the VT3, but want to upgrade. Any help would be great......

The good... it is a large display.
that was the mainreason i bought it.........
The algorithm is superb special with the new dpi settings ( kind of deepstops).
Measering pressure tank without hose.
Top quality, swiss made.

The bad....the price.

Funny things... not seen a divecomputer before which shows me typed messages instead of bleebs, flashes or small blocks fast apperaring en leaving.
And that was the second reason i bought it

It's really a nice computer. My wife borrowed one from the LDS for a number of dives and she loves it. Her vision is not real good so the large print on the "Light" display mode really suits her. The downloadable firmware makes it future proof to a certain extent and the only feature it currently lacks is tri-mix compatibility. It's easy to use out of the box and if you spend some time it really does everything except carry your tanks. I'm probably going to get her one for Christmas so she will have it for our dave vacation this winter.

Started diving with a Sol the first of the year, and I really like the computer. I am not too familiar with a VT3, but here are some of the features I like.

Large display is easy to read, super easy interface and a snap to use, compass is great, can upload simple charts and messages, multiple tanks, multiple mixtures, infrared data transfer to computer (no cables), user replaceable batteries. Also, I had a lot of grief with Oceanic dive profile software, the UWATEC is very good for my uses. I take underwater photos, and have not had any issues with dropped signals from firing high powered strobes. For the Mac inclined, there is also an Apple software version.

The only downs I have heard about are : 1.) Price; 2.) Size of unit (to me this is an advantage); 3.) Early Vista driver problem that has been fixed; 4.) Some folks seem to have problems with IR dongle (I bought inexpensive $12 unit, works fine).

Hope this helps,

Dan

Thanks everyone for the great feedback! The more I learn about this computer the more I like it. I am going to the LDS to check one out soon, I want to hold it and test it a little, to see all it can do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom