Doubles!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIOceanographer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been collecting the peices for some time, a tank here, a tank there, a set of bands, a manifold but now I have it all together and have officially joined the doubles club.

I took them for their first test run Wednesday after work over at Bull Point. Hiking them down to the water wasn't actually as bad as I would have expected (I got these things for boat diving not shore diving :D), with the weight on your back it is pretty doable.

Of course, I didn't take enough weight off on my first attempt so I was a bit overweighted. Even so the trim felt great. The other thing which I hadn't really expected was how rock solid you feel in the water with doubles on. In hindsight it makes sense, its just good old Sir Isaac Newton's equation F=ma from physics 101. More mass means the same force produces less acceleration so you aren't bobbed around as much by little movements of water, or shifts in buoyancy as you inhale and exhale. End result was that I felt like I was just locked in place once I got my buoyancy set.

As a side note I ran into a scup that looked at first to be swimming in place. As I got closer I discovered he had a hook in his mouth and the fishing line at the end of it was stuck on a rock so the fish was effectively tied to the bottom. I was able to grab the fish in one hand and unhook him to set him free. Good deed for the day.

I tweaked things a bit and did another practice dive yesterday at the same site with the air that was left from day 1. I drained the tanks down enough to set the weighting properly and I think I finally have it dialed in!

Verdict after two dives! I love them!

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I get to take them out for a spin on the U-853 with the Dennis (wreckedinri) and Harry! Here's hoping the conditions match last week!

What charters are running out to the U853 on a regular basis and do you have contact numbers? I used to head out with Canned Air through my LDS up in NH, but they aren't doing the trips anymore and I can't find contact information for the boat.

(There is no stability like doubles-stability.)

You now are ready for the Andrea Doritos....with some Earls' dip.

When the Andrea "Doritos" sank I bet it left a bizarre orange slick on the sea surface.... :D

Capt Gordon...Canned Air...860-539-4947
Unless things have changed, someone has to book the charter for the entire boat and then they have to find the divers for it themselves. Let me know if you book with him and need to fill the spots.

Capt Gordon...Canned Air...860-539-4947

We saw him on the 853 this morning.

Dennis, Mike and I had an awesome dive on the 853 followed by a second dive on the Heroine which was also great. Unfortunately Harry had to stay aboard and watch the boat due to an ear issue and we all forgot our promise to lie to him and say it was terrible even if it was nice when we came back aboard.

The only real downer to the day was that my camera flooded on the 853. It was a total loss so I guess it will be a while before I post any more pictures on here. Oh well, easy come easy go.

Cheer up. I lost 2 cameras so far. Only one turned up and that was a few months later. Your case still good?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom