Lobster Permits for North Shore and Cape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobmarley

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a quick question regarding lobster permits.
I currently have a permit for the Gulf of Maine area since I live in the Boston area and do most of my diving on the North Shore. I also have a house in Hyannis and I was wondering if I needed to get a different permit for any lobsters that I happened to pick up when diving in the Southern New England area that is down below the Cape. And can one person have 2 permits for the same year?

Mass issues a state permit that is good in all areas of Mass. You must read all the laws because they are different for each area of the State.

There is a slightly larger minimum size (3 3/8") South of the Cape and no maximum. You might want to see if they have specific gauges at a LDS in that area so there is no question. I doubt the EP's down there give any more breaks than they do on Cape Ann.

I have attached the Lobster Regs table.
(from: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recreationalfishing/rec_index.htm#lobster)

Attachments

• LobsterRegs.JPG
    LobsterRegs.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 42
Has anyone seen reference to a new 5 1/4" limit on lobsters caught in the newly created Southern New England Region? The map at DMF has been updated to include three regions (the old map only had two) while the table establishing max and min sizes reflects the old two region map. I also saw a reference at the Dive Locker about the 5 1/4" limit in the new region, though I can't find a reference at the state. Is this a pending change?

Sean

There is a slightly larger minimum size (3 3/8") South of the Cape and no maximum.

Take a closer look at your license. While I can't find the reference at the DMF website, I did look at my license and there are now three regions with different max and min for lobsters. The new region, Southern New England, runs from Monomoy Island west to Buzzards Bay, and has a 3 3/8" to 5 1/4" limit. No more 15 pounders south of the Cape.

Sean

Take a closer look at your license. While I can't find the reference at the DMF website, I did look at my license and there are now three regions with different max and min for lobsters. The new region, Southern New England, runs from Monomoy Island west to Buzzards Bay, and has a 3 3/8" to 5 1/4" limit. No more 15 pounders south of the Cape.

Sean

Is this it? MASSACHUSETTS MARINE FISHERIES ADVISORY COMMISSION APPROVES NEW REGULATIONS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom