What do you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depth Gauge

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Alright, you're diving in a kelp forest, say in the Channel Islands and a massive Great White swims by about 75 yards away like a submarine. What do you ?

:wacko:

1. Put reg back in mouth.
2. Take killer picture for bragging rights.
3. Clean inside of wetsuit with soap back on the boat.

Dave

You will continue diving as if nothing has happened. At 75 yds, you'll have no idea he's in the neighborhood. Viz in excess of 200 ft is extremely rare.

Get a picture fast! and be prepared to outrun your buddy.

Still hard to imagine seeing anything 90 ft away, especially in kelp.

Just for the sake of argument, let's assume it's actually close enough to see and ID.

You should not make any sudden motions. You should stay with your buddy and swim slowly and confidently back to the exit point (boat or shore). Keep an eye on the shark. If he starts to follow, swim directly at him. These sharks are used to chasing prey. They do not understand anything coming directly at them and will retreat.

Gee Walter thanks! I've actually dived the Channels and it's very possible to peer out of some kelp and make an ID at 30 yards. I was wondering what you would do, not what you think we should do.

cut your buddy, swim like he%$.

Walter once bubbled...
You should not make any sudden motions. You should stay with your buddy and swim slowly and confidently back to the exit point (boat or shore). Keep an eye on the shark. If he starts to follow, swim directly at him. These sharks are used to chasing prey. They do not understand anything coming directly at them and will retreat.

I am curious - is this a real advice? Aren't you joking? Have you tried that before?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom