A New Diver in Middle GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

korbx5

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I live in Barnesville (just below Griffin). We are taking our owc dive in just over 2 weeks. After that, we're looking to head down to Destin/PCB area. Any suggestions for new divers...a spring possibly?

Last edited:
You can pick up a copy of Underwater Florida at most Florida dive shops.It has most Wrecks,reefs,springs,caverns and caves in it.Updated yearly $20.00.

Thank you both. I checked out the link. She is up for it! We didn't figure we needed to jump right into the gulf but are both anxious to get started. Vortex sounds ideal. Are there any other divers in our immediate area that anyone knows of? We went thru the classes in May and had to put OWC off till end of July. Feel as if we've missed the summer. Trying not to be glutinous but am overly anxious.

Welcome, WAR EAGLE and best of luck diving! I know your neck of the woods fairly well. Grew up in Macon and the family farm is in Griffin. Destin jetties is a pretty good dive to hit at High tide. Depts to 50' + or -. Have not personally gone out of PCB, but some pretty good dive ops in the Gulf Shores to Pensacola area. When they re-open Morrison's Springs, that is a pretty good cavern dive and the cost can't be beat. If you are going further south into FL you might want to post in the FL Conch Divers area.

Howard

Howard,

War Eagle!! How bout the recruiting for "09"!! Saw where ESPN has us picked for Sugar! Glad to hear from someone from the area. I think after the previous posts, we're planning on trying out the springs the first time or two due to the unknown. My wife, AU 92, is actually from Gulf Shores area but is not sure of the ocean yet. We're gonna take it slow, but thanks for the post. We make it down to Destin often enough and will take you up on the jetties. I haven't heard of Morrison Springs but I'll look it up. Thanks! WDE! You can tell from my lack of mispelled words that I didn't go to Alabama. LOL! UA fans, please disregard.

Mark

Howard,

War Eagle!! How bout the recruiting for "09"!! Saw where ESPN has us picked for Sugar! Glad to hear from someone from the area. I think after the previous posts, we're planning on trying out the springs the first time or two due to the unknown. My wife, AU 92, is actually from Gulf Shores area but is not sure of the ocean yet. We're gonna take it slow, but thanks for the post. We make it down to Destin often enough and will take you up on the jetties. I haven't heard of Morrison Springs but I'll look it up. Thanks! WDE! You can tell from my lack of mispelled words that I didn't go to Alabama. LOL! UA fans, please disregard.

Mark

you spelled glutinous correctly, but, to quote The Princess Bride "I do not think that word means what you think it does". :D

If you and your wife are interested in some less deep dives i would suggest some river dives. Yes the visability isnt always the greatest but if you can located some of the quicker moving waters you will find a bit more visability as well as many interesting sites during your dive. In faster moving river water overweighting is a must as well as for you and your wife i would use a tether. On a normal day thought in some of the faster moving 10-30 foot river dives you can see 5-10 feet. Bad days you can about hang it up unless you run with your nose down.

If you are looking for some more people friendly dives then yes Vortex Springs is a good one. Panama City Beach at ST Andrews is nice. You can dive the rock out from the picnic area and see many fish and other wildlife. Also many times you can get in with other classes and dive in groups as a tag along. However you will encounter cobwebs( fishing string) everywhere.... I almost ended up on some anglers wall....The bay side of the Jetties is nice there but the tide can be a bit overwhelming for new comers to the sport. I myself prefer just simple river diving. You cant beat the finds either. We recently found a pre-historic horse tooth and a mammoth molar in simple river dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom