Spiny lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abitsalty

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am new to this sport but am very interested. My bro in law and I would like to go out spiny tail lobster hunting and wanted to know if anyone had suggestions on where and how. I am from Orlando so short travel would be nice. Basically trying not to go to the keys where I hear is the best place. I have heard about Sebastian inlet and didn't know if anyone has ever hunted there. I also heard about the bridges in St. Pete but know nothing else. If anyone knows anything about this sport please let me know I am dieing to get out there.

Last edited:
There are so many places to go it would be hard to start. I have been diving in Florida for over 25 years and have yet to go to the keys during lobster season: over rated and too crowded.

By the way even though I live in Palm Beach I grew up in Orlando: Rah Rah, go Boone Braves.

Considering you live in Orlando no matter where you go you are going to have to travel.
My suggestion is get with some local dive shops (and there are quite a number in Orlando) and see if they are planning trips you can sign up for during mini-season (7/30th and 31st) or during the regular season.

Don't forget you need a Florida saltwater fishing license with a lobster stamp. Also if you haven't done it before get with someone who can show you how to tickle a lobster into your hand or net, it is illegal to spear them.

By the way personally I would stay away from Sebastian Inlet unless you are with some local divers. St. Pete and the Tampa bridges are also known for good lobster but the currents and sharks can be a problem. Get with the dive shops and stick to hunting on known reefs.

Well thank you I have been asking around but no one seemed to know anything. I didn't even think about dive shops I will check them out. I am going to get my Gold Sportsman's License Which includes everything I need. Do you know of any known reefs that I can swim to I am only going to snorkel I don't have scuba license YET. Still trying to get my wife involved.

...... I am only going to snorkel I don't have scuba license YET.....

Freediving for lobster is difficult since most of the shallow bugs will have been taken already. It also can take some considerable time to catch a lobster underwater and freediving solo for them can be dangerous for blackouts and boat traffic.

Think about attending some of the local seminars. I think Diver's Direct on Int'l drive is having one very soon. Most dive shops have set up trips for next week and also into August.

You might want to read up on myfwc.com for regulations, licenses and information.

If you are snorkeling, forget the tickle-stick and get a tail snare. The one that I prefer is made by Oceanus.

Craig

So really do you think it will be a wast of time to just go out with a couple of buddies and try to get so bugs or would it be better to go to one of these dive shops an go with them? They go out and hunt lobsters as a charter thing?

Hey Man,
I live in Miami but also wanted to go Lobster dving tomorrow. We are in the short season. Let me know, may be we can dive togother. I am thinking around FLL, would be a good place to start.

Hey Man,
I live in Miami but also wanted to go Lobster dving tomorrow. We are in the short season. Let me know, may be we can dive togother. I am thinking around FLL, would be a good place to start.

Better re-check your dates, I believe it doesn't start until the 30th and ends the 31st. Last Wednesday and Thursday of July.

Craig

Craig is correct. The mini season for lobster in Florida is only on July 30th and 31st. There has always only been a 2 day mini season, never a week long one.

If you get caught pulling lobster out of season expect to lose all your gear since it can be confiscated and if you are on your own boat, what a bad day you are going to have in addition to being arrested.

And to MagicMike, thanks for reminding me of the gauge. You will need to measure to make sure the length is legal: The carapace must be greater than three (3) inches.

Also you must release unharmed any egg bearing lobster.

Back
Top Bottom