Black and White Striped fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was in Jamestown RI the other day and this fish kept running circles aound us. About 8 inches in length. Does not look like a striper. Has more of a trunkfish look to it. Can anyone tell me what it was. Thanks g

don't know about up there, but sounds like sheepshead in florida, if so they tast good, little harder to clean

Trunkfish shaped sheepshead? Without more info I couldn't even begin to guess, but if your assessment is true and it looks like a trunkfish it's probably not a sheepshead!

Trunkfish shaped sheepshead? Without more info I couldn't even begin to guess, but if your assessment is true and it looks like a trunkfish it's probably not a sheepshead!

Agreed, except for the stripes it sounds nothing like a sheepshead.

Hi,
This is danny,Juveniles are primarily black with several white and pink stripes. In the subadult phase of life the black diminishes, and the white and pink stripes become more predominant. Adult females have a pinkish body with black and white stripes at the top (dorsal) area of the body.

===============================================================

danny00

WideCircles

Sheepshead have vertical stripes. The one in the center of this pic is a sheepshead:

stu-fish-mof01.jpg

No, it was in Wetherill. But seeing how it isn't that far away, I'm sure it was the same kind of fish.

Back
Top Bottom