Spiney Oysters: would you eat them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If you have been to the Oriskany you have seen the Spiney Oysters on it. They are everywhere. I've been doing an internet search for information about them and I can't find anything that says it they are any good to eat. Anybody know?:popcorn:

When did you eat one? and where did you collect it from?

AL

I've collected the empty shells on the Oriskany but I haven't tried one yet. I'm waiting for somebody ELSE to eat one and tell me it's okay. I have a "friend" like "Mikey" that will eat anything. I'm thinking I'll get one this weekend and have him try it.

Hope it won't kill him

Now I could definitely go for a few spiny lobsters. I don't know of anyone who has ever ate a spiny oyster. Personally I prefer my oysters to be hairless before I eat them.:eyebrow:

AL

If you have been to the Oriskany you have seen the Spiney Oysters on it. They are everywhere. I've been doing an internet search for information about them and I can't find anything that says it they are any good to eat. Anybody know?:popcorn:

Everyone I know eats them. Better than Maine Lobsters in my opinion.

Here is a picture of one.
From the book: Florida'sFabulous Seashells

Thorny Oyster
These shells are often attached to rocks and underwater objects, including sunken ships, but may also live unattached on sandy bottoms.
They are not really oysters despite there common name but are related to the scallops.
When taken live they are often covered with heavy growths of sponges and algae.
Because of the spectacular beauty of there long spines, they are called Chrysanthemum Shells.

Attachments

• spinny oryster.jpg
    spinny oryster.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 270
I am not sure if I would eat a thorny/spiney oyster or not, so hope I'm not Mikey. I do know someone who made the mistake of trying my grilled steak with ground spices though. I think that this person liked the steak until they noticed my cooking practices.

:rofl3: Kristal

Well they are a relative of Scallops and we know how good they taste. it's interesting that no one's tried them before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom