Martha's In September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigken462

Contributor
Reaction score
I had been making some plans to dive Martha's the last weekend in September. I called Fred back in the first week of August and confirmed the quarry would be opened and then made some hotel reservations for which I don't think can be cancelled w/o my card being charged, not to mention having to schedule time away from work.

Today I learned through another forum that to my understanding the quarry may be, or is closed until further notice. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Kenny

I spoke to Fred and he said they would be temporarily closed for about 3-5 weeks roughly. They are blasting and drilling for rock for the roads and the schedule got messed up.

Also, he hurt himself in a fall recently, but he said he would try to be at the gate to let everyone that shows up know that he is temporarily closed.

Its a temporary thing and he will be reopening as soon as possible.

Not knowing when they closed, is the quarry going to be closed for the whole month of September - namely the 26th, 27th?

Having $$$$$ tied up with reservations, and hassles of work, this hurts when he gave the commitment to be opened.

Ken

**Edit**

Since have learned this was out of Fred's hands, bummer either way. :-(

Last edited:
The story going around Nashville is that Fred & the other co-owners had a falling out. Story is the other owners have closed the access road because they're building camp sites & a beach area where the ramp & pavillion currently is now. Since Fred is blocked from letting divers in, he's blasting a new access area from his corner. I wonder if the other owners will let divers access the water from "their" side?

By phone conversations with those familiar - simple blasting for road work. At least that's my understanding. IF however they are closing the place to do site improvement, then go for it.

A dive site with a picnic table and a awning is hardly diver friendly. Anything - even a changing room is improvement. I remember diving there several years ago and thinking the place had so much potential to make a great dive site, and was sad to see no effort to do improvements.

I know the Tenn divers would like to see the place grow into a better site, perhaps this is a step in that direction if the blasting is not for roadwork.

Dive safe,

Ken

Ken

hello again. Seems as thopughI only come on here to get some truth out. this is mainly aimed at jamaaicancowboy (a few post prior to this). Is simple another medler trying to stir up some ____. Part what he says is true, the rest he knows better. Out of the blue, once again he rears up with a new name (notice that this is his first post). Shame on you for trying to misinform the diving public.
Yes I did have a falling out with partners, as we do about every week of the year. Nobody is blocked out. Today, we partners met for unch at the cracker barrel restaurant , not to make-up, but to kick back togather and review our planning. We did not have another falling out today, but most likely will by the end of next week. If you have been in a business partnership, you know all about this. we fight like siblings. There will not be a beach or swimming area where the pavillian now stands. There are some cliffs that need to be addressed. Either be blasted into steps, or a bouy line in place to mark a no dive area. There will be some changes. a dive entry on the north side of the lake would be a good asset. If this happens, it will be done with out harming the forrest canopy. This would mean a park like area in the woods, and be much cooler out of the sun. All voice involve are in one accord to keep the quarry in it's natural beauty state. this are big if's Some of us partners claiming overkill on safty, the others claiming things will be ugly. I'm stuck squarely in the middle, getting flack from bothsides.
The 109 highway project needs a lot of rock. we have a lot of rock. We stand to gain aout $300,000 worth of free work. We new this was coming since lasr year. Is a little untimely, but wasn't in june or july. it is a gov. contract to jones bros. construction co. We are contracted to them. They must do thier work ontime.
I hope this will clarify the trouble makers (jamaicancowboy) post. And a big thank you to Britt of Better diver in huntsville, also the operator of Madison Quarry, for the heads up about that post.
I'm Fred Massie, I'm not going anywhere. My ashes will probably be dunped right in the middle of an openwater class. diving will alway be ar martha's until that time at least. I love each and everyone of our divers.

Last edited:
And right there it is. Any site improvement is better than nothing. Thanks Fred for the clarification. Indeed I was looking forward to diving that weekend, but have since been able to get out from under the reservations I once had since I can't be for certain to get to dive that weekend. I'm sure you understand that I just can't tie up the funds on a gamble the park might be closed. However with that said, please understand we will make every attempt to head that way just as soon as the work is squared away. I only dove Martha's once, but have always considered that to be one of the better traveling dive sites I've done, and do hope to see it again soon.

Your efforts to offer divers a place to dive never goes unnoticed. Thanks for your - and your partners work to give us, and your local divers a place to come have a lil fun.

Kenny

I am not trying to stir up any bad feelings or irritate anybody, and I apologize if I have.
All I did was to pass on is what I've heard from 3-4 different Nashville divers, hoping to find out the truth so these rumors could be stopped. I too, would hate to lose Martha's as a diving resource.

What confuses me is that my original post was taken as blaspemous or that i was trying to upset anybody, yet the post following mine said "a dive site with a picnic table and a awning is hardly diver friendly", yet there was no attack on that individual.

I will gracefully bow out of this thread and leave everybody to their own business.
Good-bye and God bless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom