Mares Puck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fyh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for experiences and/or opinions on the Mares Puck computer. I've played with it in the store, and it seems like a nice computer.

What I'd like to hear are some likes and dislikes from people who have actually used it on some dives.

Thanks!
fyh

Hi fyh,

Both my husband and I use the Mares Puck computer. It's my first computer, so my only other experience is with a rental that I didn't really become very familiar with, so I can't really compare it to others. Still, I'm happy to share my impressions of the Puck.

What I like about it: conservative algorithym, ascent rate monitor, big and easy to read numbers, No deco time and depth very prominently displayed, can be used for Nitrox if I decide to go that route in the future, gives temperature (I love knowing this), one big easy to use button, different settings for use with fresh or salt water, price.

What I'm not as thrilled about: The manual is so-so. Still, it only took me about 30-40 minutes of playing around with the manual and computer before I felt comfortable navigating between screens. Also, the wrist mounted puck is a little bulky compared to the Suunto I rented before, but that model was a lot more expensive. Granted, I am very thin and have TINY wrists, but over my wetsuit it sits comfortably. It fits just fine on my husband's larger wrist.

We both like the Puck a lot--I'd buy this computer again if I had to replace it.

Thanks for the response!

I did see your previous post about the Puck before I posted my question, and it seemed like you were both happy with it.

After playing with the computer in the LDS, it seemed nice, but yes the manual is a bit lacking. I had to figure some things out just by trial and error. The one-button operation, I guess, can be viewed as a plus or a minus, depending on what you're used to.
I use a Tusa IQ 700 (same as the DiveRite Nitek Duo), which has 3 buttons, and is programmable for two mixes, which will soon come in handy as my training progresses.

I'm going to be picking up a Puck this afternoon for my new dive buddy. Her wrists are smaller than mine, but not tiny, so it should fit well. Besides, "easy to read" is pretty important. I wouldn't want something with a tiny display.

Thanks for the extra info. The fact that you'd buy it again says a lot.

fyh

Yeah, the one button did take some trial and error to get used to, but it doesn't take too long to get familiar with.

The other thing to keep in mind is that it doesn't immediately start to log the dive when you hit the water. You have to descend a few feet (can't remember how many) so it knows you're not just hanging around at the surface before it kicks in. This is a little different than the rental I used. I mention this because on our first dive with these I got descended several feet and then had to go back to the surface and explain this to my husband (he is sooo not a manual reader, so I had just given him a tutorial) who was at the surface trying to figure out why it wasn't "working." The manual does cover this, however.

Cheers,
P-Cod

Y

The other thing to keep in mind is that it doesn't immediately start to log the dive when you hit the water. You have to descend a few feet (can't remember how many) so it knows you're not just hanging around at the surface before it kicks in.

I have a Mares Nemo Excel and it doesn't activate until you are 4 feet deep. I imagine it's either the same or similar as the other Mares computers.

I have a Mares Nemo Excel and it doesn't activate until you are 4 feet deep. I imagine it's either the same or similar as the other Mares computers.

Yeah, 4 feet sounds about right.

I like the Mares puck as it's a solid computer which is fairly easy to use. I prefer my Zeagle N2ition (same as Dive Rite Nitek Duo) though so I sold my puck. I recently picked up an Oceanic wrist mount Veo 100NX as a cheap compact travel computer and I like it about as much as I liked the Puck.

I am glad you like the Puck. This flow chart makes it very easy to learn the features.

Regards,

Phil

Attachments

• Computer PUCK Flow Chart.pdf
    105 KB · Views: 208
I am glad you like the Puck. This flow chart makes it very easy to learn the features.

Regards,

Phil

That flow chart is useful--why the heck isn't that included in the manual?!?! Without it you have to play around with the computer to learn that all in your head. I suppose you'd want it in your head before diving anyway, but this would make it easier to learn...

That flow chart is useful--why the heck isn't that included in the manual?!?! Without it you have to play around with the computer to learn that all in your head. I suppose you'd want it in your head before diving anyway, but this would make it easier to learn...

The charts were just developed over the last 30 days. We will have them at dealers and then into the boxes at a later point.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom