Apo Island - how is it in 2008?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone been to this dive site lately? How is it? Has it been surviving the mutilation that from reports so many other Philippine dive sites have been suffering from the exploits of tourism and dynamite fishing?
Further, has anyone stayed on the island lately? How is the accommodation and the operators here? We carry our own gear but naturally air quality is important. Does anyone have any preferences for operators or accommodation - the sites of both seem pretty ok?
We have no issues with rustic, lack of hot showers or the like and we do like to be away from the mad crowds so this has looked enticing to us...
The last posting I could really find on it was from a few years ago so any information from anyone would be great.

Cheers

hey coo! i don't really have a lot of answers for you because i have not been to Apo island recently..

but this much i know.. there has been a decline in cases of dynamite fishing particularly in "known" dive sites because locals are now starting to appreciate the better business divers are bringing compared to destructive fishing methods. so i guess they are wisening up (is that a word??) on the tourism side, the country is very lucky because majority of the divers we attract are responsible divers. yes there is still a minority.. and thank god that they are..

welcome to the philippines! and i hope that your diving experience in Apo is as exquisite as mine! cheers!

ps.. on another note, can i ask the group if it is advisable to dive balicasag, bohol on february? weather-wise, etc. i'm planning to surprise my NON-diving girlfriend with a dive trip to balicasag.. (whatta-boyfren!!)

glenver

Hi!

I was just in Dumaguete a few weeks ago :) The dives in Apo Island were awesome! We did a really steady drift dive from Coconut Point, swam with the jack fish shoal in Mamsa Point, and had a good wall dive at Chapel Point. I was on a budget, so I stayed in the city. The dive operator I went with had the transport costs (land and sea) to and from the island included in their package. I also brought my own gear, so they took out the rental fee from my tab. Air quality is good, and the staff were very accommodating. You might wanna check them out - Scuba Ventures.

HTH!

Aaaah all sounds very good! We are planning it for March next year (yer, so a little keen but gotta think where to next!) when the weather is hot hot hot! I hear that is a good time to be there too.

Thanks for the advice on Scuba Ventures - I will check them out. Still like the idea of staying on Apo just because it looks kinda nice... anyone else have any ideas?

Coo

I've dove with Scuba Ventures, and they were great. But I don't think they have a resort, just a dive shop. We stayed at a friend's house.

There are plenty of threads talking about accomodations on Apo Island vs. the mainland. Some concerns about Apo Island are the brackish water and rolling blackouts. Then again, staying on Apo makes the diving convenient and there's no need to travel the 25 min across the sometimes choppy seas from the mainland. I only know of liberty lodge, it'll probably suit you.

@ Glenver: have lunch with the locals on Balicasag - they catch the seafood that morning and you get to choose the fish. Or you can have lunch at the resort. Throw that in with the snorkeling and it won't be so bad for your girlfriend. :D

@ Glenver: have lunch with the locals on Balicasag - they catch the seafood that morning and you get to choose the fish. Or you can have lunch at the resort. Throw that in with the snorkeling and it won't be so bad for your girlfriend. :D

hey! great advice! thanks chip!

I have been to Apo twice in the last two months. The first time i was there for 4 days and did 11 dives. The second was two dives on a day trip from Dauin. I thought it was great. I enjoyed the accommodations on the island as long as you understand what you are getting in to. I didn't mind having to take a shower using a bucket for four days, but I wouldn't have wanted to do that for two weeks. Aside from the limited fresh water and electricity, liberty lodge is beautiful with a dive shop that gives lots of personal attention. Here are a few pics:

2876409345_f8285c6ceb_b.jpg

2876887616_3f0d2dae40_b.jpg

2876335439_36f0e31790_b.jpg

2877287644_2b5a304d95_b.jpg

2878114952_182388de9f_b.jpg

2876609585_a5d0dba6d0_b.jpg

2868433183_84e2a74a8c_b.jpg

hey gravity - may i ask what camera set-up you are using for this pics? is it one of those expensive scary looking u/w cameras? i love the pics.. i'm looking to get a camera with a limited budget.. and these are the kinds of pictures that i am hoping to be able to take..

No this is not an expensive setup. It is a Olympus FE-280 and the corresponding olympus underwater case. No strobes or anything like that. I think you can get this setup for about $350.
However, it isn't a setup that gives a lot of room to grow either. I feel like I have got just about everything I can out of this setup. If I were going to purchase a starter setup over again I would go with one that gives more control. Something like that Canon A570IS or A720IS would be about the same price but with more control and the ability to focus at a closer distances.

will your recommendation allow for strobes? (i have no idea what that is.. but read of it a whole lot..)

Back
Top Bottom