Diving around Melbourne, any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

escher123

Reaction score
After diving in Borneo, we're planning on a trip to Melbourne to visit some family, and would like to squeeze in some diving too! I've never been to Australia before and know next to nothing about the diving over there, so any advice will be much appreciated. Are there any good dive resorts not too far from Melbourne? I know the 'not too far' is quite subjective! Well basically, is there anything closer than going all the way up to the Whitsunday Islands? I'm a beginner, so please suggest a place which has gentle currents and warm water! :)

There's good diving to be had in Melbourne, but not in warm water! At the moment, the water's around 14 degrees, although in the height of summer it can get all the way up to a positively balmy 20 degrees. Sometimes you don't even have to wear a hood!

Seriously though - there are some very good dives here, and if you wear the proper exposure protection, you don't have to miss out. There's a lot of variety, so I'm sure you'd find something to interest you. We have wreck dives anywhere from open water level to "tech" depths, reef dives, wall dives, drift dives - not to mention a number of excellent dives under piers - all within 90 minutes drive from the CBD.

Dive Victoria operate most of the charters from Portsea and Queenscliff (either side of the Port Phillip heads). There's also a description of some of the dive sites on their website

If you really can't stand the cold, I'm afraid you're probably looking at flying at least a couple of hours north, and if you're going to do that, you might as well head all the way up to the Great Barrier Reef. It's around a 3 and a half hour flight up to Cairns from Melbourne.

I forgot to mention that I'll be in Melbourne 1st week of February next year :)

After diving in Borneo, we're planning on a trip to Melbourne to visit some family, and would like to squeeze in some diving too! I've never been to Australia before and know next to nothing about the diving over there, so any advice will be much appreciated. Are there any good dive resorts not too far from Melbourne? I know the 'not too far' is quite subjective! Well basically, is there anything closer than going all the way up to the Whitsunday Islands? I'm a beginner, so please suggest a place which has gentle currents and warm water! :)

Sorry escher 'gentle currents and warm water' is not how I would describe Melbourne diving most of the time... However I LOVE diving here, so much to see, wrecks, lots of shore dives, lots of boat dives, heaps of interesting marine life (if you go to my Scubaboard album, that might give you an idea of what type of stuff there is to see).

What kind of stuff interests you? That might help narrow down some ideas :) February would probably suit you better for diving in Melbourne as it is about 20-23C then (I learned to dive in February this year and was fine in a 5mm suit with no hood).

I also use Dive Victoria for boat charters, have always found them professional and never had any problems. For any gear you need I recommend Scuba Doctor, a 10min trip away from Dive Victoria (The Scuba Doctor - Home - Scuba Service and Repair, Dive Shop, Courses and Trips), you can buy stuff there as well as rent. Dive Vic rents out too but Scuba Doctor is cheaper (and I find the service with gear better).

With shore dives, there are heaps around and some fairly easy ones too so that is worth considering too as it can be a bit rough on the boats sometimes. There is always a spot to dive regardless of the weather though :)

Are there any good dive resorts not too far from Melbourne? I know the 'not too far' is quite subjective! Well basically, is there anything closer than going all the way up to the Whitsunday Islands? I'm a beginner, so please suggest a place which has gentle currents and warm water! :)

There is some great diving to be done in Melbourne, but it is not 'resort' diving.

There are some awesome shore dives with lots of cool creatures to check out. Some pics from shore dives and also from Melbourne in general. By Melbourne am thinking of the bottom end of the Bay, where most of the charters are located.

If you like reef diving I would recommend a dive on the Wall, or Castle Rock or Pope's Eye, which is a great shallow dive with lots of fish life. If you like seals perhaps a trip out to Chinaman's Hat. All these dives do have currents, so I guess it will depend on how comfortable you are. The dive operators are can provide you with a DM/guide to make sure you are comfortable though.

Most of the wrecks around Vic are below 18m, however, if you are certified to dive on them they are amazing. The J class subs in particular are a huge favorite.

If you are after balmy warm water though you will have to travel further up the coast, so either the GBR, or perhaps somewhere like South West Rocks or Solitary Islands where you do start to get warmer water and more tropical animals as a result.

Hope you enjoy your trip! Tehre is so much great diving to be done in Oz!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom