Can't EVER get away.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There are weekends when I'm on-call. This coming weekend being one of them. This coming weekend also being my first dive since certification (so it's not bloody likely that I'm going to miss it). It's nothing life & death, I'm not a doctor or anything... just have to carry a pager for work and I do need to get the pages. I'm thinking about having my girlfriend come to the quarry and chuck pebbles at my cluster of bubbles if ever the thing goes off.:eek:

So I get around to wondering... if I just put the pager into a waterproof bag... ?

Certainly the radio signal wouldn't reach the pager at 60' but a guy can't help but wonder.

Has experimented with this or known anyone foolish enough to?

saying once bubbled...
Has experimented with this or known anyone foolish enough to?

I'm lucky enough to be engineering backup as far as pagers go; so I can only be paged by the support folks that are on call; when they can't handle it.

I just let them know when I'm going diving, and keep my phone and pager with me [on the surface]. They know it could be up to an hour before I get back to them....

of course I don't get paged much anyway, so it's never been an issue. If I was on front line, I probably wouldn't be able to dive the weekends I was on call.

When I have to carry the on-call phone I just put it in my drysuit undergarment pocket. I have it set to vibrate, so it will go off as soon as I'm back up. I actually got called one time as I was getting out of the water... but I had forgotten to set the damned thing to vibrate! It was a strange thing to hear a ringing cell phone while still knee deep in water at a remote dive site. Needless to say I took a lot of crap for that. :wink:

Jimmie

Back
Top Bottom