Dive Master Necessary??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xsnapplemanx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, I don't yet have my license, but I have been working out different places to dive. I have a friend who has a boat and can take me out to some oil rigs in the Gulf. My question is, is it necessary to have a dive master present, or is a dive buddy good enough?

Don't quite understand your question.

Are you asking "Is a certified dive master required on a dive boat, hired for charter, in order to make a dive?"

or: "Can a friend who owns a boat provide me a means of conveyance to a site which I choose to dive without having to have a certified "dive master" on board?"

One musn't miscontrue the difference between the differences in the term "dive master".

In the educational/certifying agency definition, a "dive master" is a diver who has been trained to a certain level within that organizations accreditation structure to be able to instruct or assist in instruction.

To address the first part of your question . . . on a dive boat, gosh, the guy may not even be a certified open water diver. He is just the guy that goes down, ties onto the buoy, or wreck, or whatever and guides the dive.

And on many of the dive boats from which I've dived, I think the definition is the latter.

Can't answer the first, but the answer to the second is "yes".

All your friend is doing is providing you a means of conveyance from a position on shore to a position off shore. Now I'm addressing only those issues concerned with diving. His only responsibility is provide a safe means of transport that would be deemed usual and customary with resonable prudence, and all that other legal garbledeygook. His only liability is getting you from shore to your destination and back to shore without incurrence of damages, personal injury or loss. (I'm not a lawyer, although I told a young lady I was a long, long time ago to see if it would help me get "lucky") so, by no means is this legal counsel.

the K

Alright, I have a friend who can take me out in his boat, but he does not dive. My question is do I need someone to lead the dive or can I just grab a fellow diver and go for it, assuming the boat has the proper diver down flags? I have not been boat diving before, but hope to soon. I guess another question I have that's similar is when beach diving, do I need to have some sort of buoy or flag to notify people on the surface that I am diving?

Better.
See above.
I'm sure one of our legal types will jump in soon enough.
And I'll bet I'm wrong. But in a court of law, the court of common sense very seldom prevails.

the K

Having a friend take his boat to a site that you want to dive seems no different from doing a shore dive or diving in a quarry. So long as the divers have a buddy, plan the dive and dive the plan, no dm is needed I would think.

From a commercial dive op perspective, I am not sure of what the rules are but I have been on a charter with no dm. The captain tied us off to a buoy, gave us the skinny and off we went. No dm in the water with us.

The dive training that you will more than likely receive will teach you how to dive within the recreational realm which includes diving with a buddy. In theory, you and your buddy should be able to complete the dive that you are talking about as long as you stay within the realm of your instruction.

You could try to find someone to lead the dive. There is a certain appeal to "discovering" a dive site on your own. On the flip side, a guide can point out stuff (neat stuff and safety issues) that you might miss. Some dive sites might require a guide. This is very common in marine reserves. The best thing to do is to ask at your local dive shop about the regulations.

So, I don't yet have my license, but I have been working out different places to dive. I have a friend who has a boat and can take me out to some oil rigs in the Gulf. My question is, is it necessary to have a dive master present, or is a dive buddy good enough?

If I'm understanding your question, the answer is no, you do not need a dive master to go diving from your friend's boat.

A dive buddy / mentor who has dove the oil rigs you are thinking about diving is a very good idea however.

Best wishes.

As Leadturn said you do not need a dive master nor is one required by any public or private entity.

The oil rigs are generally considered an advanced dive because of the possibility of strong currents, bottom depths beyond normal limits, sudden changes in conditions, etc so I would suggest you select a buddy with rig diving experience.

Have fun, be safe.

What do you mean by "license"?

Back
Top Bottom