what languages are most needed in instructors in SE Asia or Australia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alex hess

New
Reaction score
Hello: I posted this question on the newbie page because, well, i am a newbie, only advanced OW so far. But I realized maybe more DMs and instructors go to other pages instead. So...what languages are most needed in instructors in SE Asia or Australia? I am planning on getting my DM in Thailand starting in Nov-Dec, then, money permitting, just staying, getting experience and dives, then my instructor cert. I realize most new DMs have a tough time getting work because of their inexperience, so I wanted to up my chances with a second language study now, before i go. I heard Japanese was needed, but then i emailed a resort owner on Ko Tau, where i plan to do my DM, and he said, Chinese might be a better option. Any input out there? Has anyone heard of a dearth in certain langauge-qualified instructors? Thanks for any input.

Thailand, and Ko Tao in particular gets loads of people from everywhere, so having a second language would be very useful. Im quite sure that the countries that are heaviest represented are Scandinavian countries (norwegian, swedish and danish), Israel and England, but you get people from all over the place.

Are you planning to learn a language just for this or do you already have a second/third language?

English. I don't know of anyone down there speaking Australian or South East Asian.

The ones that work! :wink:

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom