Intova lights and cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Bought some intova backup lights while in cave country. They look sturdy enough, seem really bright, but the switches start to get loose or fall apart at depth, or the things start to flicker. Obviously a bad thing in cave diving. Has anybody had any experience with Intova lights. I believe these are the 3 watt tight beam versions. I've posted a pic of the light below.

Attachments

• 033009_12521.jpg
    033009_12521.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 122
Cave lights don't have switches... Now you know why.

My wife used them as backups for a while. Never had any switch problems but I know people who have. Would be a reliablilty issue in caves. There are ways to fix the problem. Contact Intova and they will look after you, quickly.

I've heard that too. I'm starting a Gear Review section on my website. I've got lights coming from Dorcy, Intova and SarTek. I'm working on getting my hands on some lights from Princeton Tec, UK and OMS.

I'll make sure that I check out the switch stability on the Intovas at depth.

Thanks for the responses.
Just got off the phone with Intova. They are sending me 2 switches. They told me that a "batch" of lights they made are having this issue. Once I get the new switches installed I'll check them out and let you know if they work right.

I've heard of a few occurances as well, but the great majority of people I talk to using those lights are very happy with them. I would probably be using them if I weren't already using OMS Vegas, which I like a great deal.

I have been diving mine for a year without any problems,I would like to get one of the new brighter ones,but they are still a generation behind on led technology,I wish they would catch up. I tried to crack it open and change out the led but no luck,that sucker is glued on tight.

I've been using Intovas for a while with no issues. I've heard of the magnetic switch falling out. Hasn't happened to me, but I have inner tube around the switch to prevent it should it want to do that. They work great and are almost as bright as a 10w can light.

Mine have been great for the past year that I've been using them.

I own four. My first two are great. My second two had issues around 60 feet. The would go out. A buddy of mine bought some at the same time and had similar issues. It seems a run had the issue with switches. Edd (Cave Adventurers) replaced them and the two new ones are great. I have not had, or even heard of the issues of switches falling out so I will put some rubber bands on them as insurance. I have been really happy with mine. I have the tight beam, older ones. Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom