Intova lights and cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well my point was, using them in cooler caves doesn't make the switch not fall off

My point is the switch isn't falling off them all, the great majority of them are dependable enough to use on larger dives.

I have an intova and really like it. It's great for gearing up at night (super bright!). The switch has however jammed on me when it got a little dirt up under it....For emergencies, I'll stick with a rat or scout. In cave diving, I try to think of the terms "reliable enough" and "the most reliable" being synonyms. With the salvo/halcyon backups having nothing to jam at all, I see no need to settle for "reliable enough".

If you are in the open water I can agree with your reply. In smaller caves, the intova is nearly a bright as a 10w hid and we have been using them regularly for this instead of a can light when you don't have to push light a far distance. I have done the tests with the DR 700 LED, Raider IV, Intova narrow beam, and DR 10w HID in Twin Cave. All were pretty close to the same in close proxemity (15 feet or less in clear water) Lights perform differently in water than out of the water. Out of water comparisons are flawed and cannot be used for a true test of light output. An intova in a lightsock is great for smaller tight caves and eliminates the can and cable when you need to tighten your profile up for those places.

Intova does not rate the output close to that of a 10watt HID unless of course you consider half the output to be close. Its a good backup light and having a magnetic switch fall out on one in my opinion does not make it a bad light.

In fact if I remember correctly the switch fell out on this dive. Maybe I should have stopped and looked for it. In fact if you look closely you can see my 10watt HID as its almost as bright.

In the Realm of Fangorn Forest on Vimeo

John

a switch you have to put a rubber band on to make sure it doesn't fall out? lol
doesn't' sound like a great backup light for cave diving

In fact I have seen the rubber band turn the switch on due to normal movement while diving.

John

I recently had a magnetic switch fall out. This was the first and only problem.

"almost as bright as a 10w can light"......they are a nice backup light but this statement is stretching things unless you need to be getting a brighter 10W can light or replace the bulb.

John

Intova does not rate the output close to that of a 10watt HID unless of course you consider half the output to be close. Its a good backup light and having a magnetic switch fall out on one in my opinion does not make it a bad light.

In fact if I remember correctly the switch fell out on this dive. Maybe I should have stopped and looked for it. In fact if you look closely you can see my 10watt HID as its almost as bright.

In the Realm of Fangorn Forest on Vimeo

John

:shakehead: I don't think I said Intova rated it that way. :no: What I said was I personally tested several lights and the Intova was very close to the 10w hid in close proxemity, in a cave, in the water. When you need distance it is not the same, but still a solid versatile light. :)

:shakehead: I don't think I said Intova rated it that way. :no: What I said was I personally tested several lights and the Intova was very close to the 10w hid in close proxemity, in a cave, in the water. When you need distance it is not the same, but still a solid versatile light. :)

I did not say you said what Intova rated the light at....i can read and your post was simply your opinion.

Well you know the saying "opinions are like a@@h$#es...everyone has one". I simply referred to manufacturers facts on the numerical light output that takes opinion out of the equation.

So go shake your head and wiggle your finger at someone else.

John

I did not say you said what Intova rated the light at....i can read and your post was simply your opinion.

Well you know the saying "opinions are like a@@h$#es...everyone has one". I simply referred to manufacturers facts on the numerical light output that takes opinion out of the equation.

So go shake your head and wiggle your finger at someone else.

John

Regardless of what the manufacturers facts are, how a light performs in the water is the important thing. Sometimes "facts" are nothing more than sales propaganda and sometimes the truth.

I did not give an opinion, I gave a practical report of real tests that I performed and stated the results. The idea here is to give useful and practical information on things we have actual experience with. I have that experience and gave the practical facts.

I have used all of the lights I named and can tell you how they performed. They were in caves away from any light pollution and the option of close use and distance use were both used. I don't repeat what I have read as fact unless I have qualified it by real life usage. The truth is some lights perform exceptionally out of the water, but poorly in the water. Some perform great above and below the surface. I have also used the Intova in almost zero vis looking for lost items such as jewelry, guns, etc. and it performed better than some other lights I have.

Again, before you get upset, again, I am giving information of something I have actually done. I believe if you test these lights in the water, at night, in different environments you will be able to report results that you actually witnessed. :D

Last edited:
Regardless of what the manufacturers facts are, how a light performs in the water is the important thing. Sometimes "facts" are nothing more than sales propaganda and sometimes the truth.

I did not give an opinion, I gave a practical report of real tests that I performed and stated the results. The idea here is to give useful and practical information on things we have actual experience with. I have that experience and gave the practical facts.

I have used all of the lights I named and can tell you how they performed. They were in caves away from any light pollution and the option of close use and distance use were both used. I don't repeat what I have read as fact unless I have qualified it by real life usage. The truth is some lights perform exceptionally out of the water, but poorly in the water. Some perform great above and below the surface. I have also used the Intova in almost zero vis looking for lost items such as jewelry, guns, etc. and it performed better than some other lights I have.

Again, before you get upset, again, I am giving information of something I have actually done. I believe if you test these lights in the water, at night, in different environments you will be able to report results that you actually witnessed. :D

I have no reason to believe you are not telling the truth and have indeed used and tested these lights in conditions that you believe are real life conditions....all from your perspective. I as well of others have no way of knowing the condition of the lights you tested, the batteries and or your frame of reference as to real life conditions. You also have not idea if I have actually tested these light and or others. Regardless of that your opinion is your own.

I have simply stated that the manufacturer rates the Intova at 4.7 watts and depending if you have a earlier model that one was rated at 3.0 watts. That is the factual information from the manufacturer of the light not an opinion. If they are trying to market the light as being close to a 10 watt HID then I do not think they would give a rating that is less than half that of a HID. Also a rating of less than half of the 10 watt HID is not "close to a 10 watt HID" unless of course as I stated you have a 10 watt HID that is not performing as it should.

The only thing that I might be upset at is your assumption that I directly questioned your statements and responding with a head shaking and finger wiggling post.

This is my last comment on the issue.

John

Light ratings are notoriously difficult to compare. For starters, the number "watts" is more about the power consumption used, and is at best a VERY poor proxy for brightness. Even claims of "xxx lumens" often carry unstated assumptions (distance from measurement, focus, spectrum, color temp, etc.).

Also, in general, HIDs become more efficient at higher wattage while LEDs become less efficient. A 21w HID can be rated at 3x the brightness of a 10w HID (1500 lumens v. 500 lumens). I think a 35w HID is rated at twice the lumens of a 21w, but as you can see it doesn't use twice the power. A 21w LED does not necessary equal the brightness of a 21w HID, and it's fairly safe to assume that it doesn't scale in brightness from a 1watt or 4.7watt emitter.

The common lumen ratings I've seen from the latest batch of "inexpensive backup LED" type lights is on the order of 100-200 lumens. And again, even this kind of rating carries undisclosed assumptions that affect how directly you can compare the specs between two lights.

Light ratings are notoriously difficult to compare. For starters, the number "watts" is more about the power consumption used, and is at best a VERY poor proxy for brightness. Even claims of "xxx lumens" often carry unstated assumptions (distance from measurement, focus, spectrum, color temp, etc.).

The Intova is rated at 130 lumens for the 4.7 watt and the older 3.0 watt did nothave a lumen rating on the document I have.

John

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom