Where to dive in summer in Southern France?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My husband and I will be in southern France for their summer this year and would like to know where to dive. We'll be considering diving around Marseille, so suggestions for this area would be much appreciated!

Diving around Marseille is usually very cool in August but it could also be windy.
In that case, try Carry on the west side or Hyeres near toulon on the east side:

Carry Le Rouet is protected from the north wind by the hills of the " blue coast" ( côte bleue"), but if the north wind blows, my advice is avoid diving because the watter temp can drop down from 25°C to 14°C, the viz also gets crappy.
Anyway, Carry is a good place and this dive op is very wellcoming, he is not situated on the harbour but he carries the tanks and gears.
The viz is usually better in Marseille than around Carry, here he is :

Plongée Passion Carry-le-Rouet Marseille

On the East side, THE spot is around Hyeres and the islands of Hyeres ( îles d'Hyères). Fantastic wrecks ( the best are quite deep : about 50 m). If you can't or don't want to go that deep, there are very nice dives near the islands, Port Cros island is a protected area ( nature reserve) where the wild live is abundant.
This place is probably the best on the french southern coast, here's a PADI dive center :

Destination Plongée // Hyères // var.

Marseille eventually, is also a must for diving, despite this northern wind they call " mistral".
If you are lucky, it won't be windy and, the watter temp will be cool ( 25°) and the viz more than 20 m. They also have deep wrecks and very good diving spots .
Two adresses I heard about but never tried myself. Both professional dive op and PADI certified :

Accueil au Centre

Evasion Sport, 20 ans d'expérience dans la vente de matériel et accessoires de plongée multi marques.

You have to know that in France some dive center are only FFESSM certified ( a bit like a local BSAC), they could not accept an AOW as such and consider you like an OW. So you'd better choose the PADI dive ops ( I have to say that I'm not PADI myself).
You also have to know that here you must have a medical certicate saying that you're fit to dive. The dive op is reponsable of you and he must make sure that you have a medical agreement...this is the law.

I come back myself from Australia and I hope you will enjoy your trip as we did.

Where do you live in Oz ?

(apology for my surprising english...Shakespeare, will you ever forgive me ?)

My husband and I will be in southern France for their summer this year and would like to know where to dive. We'll be considering diving around Marseille, so suggestions for this area would be much appreciated!

We dove with these guys Plaisirs de la Mer - Presentation, They are located in the old port

We had great experience, we liked the personnel, while waiting for the boat they fed us with a cake - they has someones birthday. They accept PADI certification.

Before doing any dives you need to go to le généraliste - general medical doctor and get medicals. W/o that they will not take you on board. We paid 21 euro for 2 people. They have one nearby. The girl at the shop was very helpful - she gave us the address of the doctor and called her in advance. We waited in the line for an hour approx and got our medical forms. They are valid for 6 months and can be used in another parts of Europe.

Keep in mind that most of them do not accept credit cards so carry enough amount of cash. We paid 35 euro for a trip including rent of the equipment excluding mask, snorkel , regs and comps.

Yup, if you are in Marseille you will at some time end up in the "Old Port" its a popular tourist area with nice Hotels, restaurants, access to ferries and day cruises,a great "side walk cafe" life style and an "interesting" open air fish market on certain days in the morning - take a hat to stop the gulls nesting on your head.!

From my experience August is Hot and Hectic, its peak summer and everyone is on vacation - its a great time but, book early.

Anyway, I digress, - but I agree Plaisirs de la Mer is a nice operation, a little way down (but in the area) is "Vieux Plongee" also a good operator, but if you feel in the mood, Marseille is the home city of BEUCHAT INTERNATIONAL a fairly big and well known name brand in Scuba equipment and they have an excellant Dive Centre in Marseille Beuchat International - click on Dive Centres.

I always find they can help with most queries, suggestions on where to dive etc, and its nice to browse around their shop as well.:D

Enjoy,..............I am envious as I just love Marseille.!

We paid 21 euro for 2 people.

WHAT ?!? This is the usual price for ONE ! ( 22€ in fact)

Vieux Plongee
= vieux plongeur ?

Le vieux port is a very nice place , if your hotel is nearby , choose your dive op around.
But if you can go in the south of the town, you'd be closer from the most interresting dive sites.
When it's not windy it doesn't matter, the sea is like a lake and it's very nice to be on a boat.
If the Mistral blows, you feel much better wen you quickly get back to the harbour.
My brother lives in Marseille, I also love this town and the sceneries around are just amazing.
The only problem they have is that darn wind.

My favourite places around Marseille :
Roussillon and la vallée des ocres
Ocre Provence couleur ocre Luberon Ocre jaune Roussillon ocre rouge Rustrel Ocre Provence Colorado Provencal

Cassis and les callanques
Calanque d'En-vau

Les baux de provence
Les Baux de Provence - Office de Tourisme, site officiel

Thanks for all of your help. We are very much looking forward to diving in another country! AirOne, I'm from Queensland.

Just back from Hyeres. Must-to-dive place.
Dive-op Destination Plongée // Hyère

Attachments

• Кораллы.jpg
    Кораллы.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Сузанна.jpg
    Сузанна.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 64
  • штурвал-малый.jpg
    штурвал-малый.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 63
  • дайвер-с-коралл&#1.jpg
    дайвер-с-коралл&#1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Копия винт.jpg
    Копия винт.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 62
Bonjour, Erwan
Yes, Canon 5d Ikelite housing and two 125 stobes.
Where I usually dive - two strobes is a necessity. I guess that Normandy diving also requires a lot of external light, doesn't it?
George

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom