Moving to Miami, Very Eager to Hunt/Gather/Lobster Collect!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am moving to Miami this coming week, and would very much like to try my hand fishing before I have to start work the next Monday. Is there anyone willing to take me out and show me the ropes? I have my own scuba/diving gear, and also plan on picking up some kit when I get down there.
I am also interested in a good gun to start out with that maybe a local would have, or a good shop to browse.

Anyone that is interested in helping me out please post! Also any other tips are more than welcome! I will only be in the Miami area for the summer. I am working at the airport on the new transit project. I wish to get as much experience and good food as I can before returning to W.Va.

Thanks in advance SCUBAboard!

You might want to call ahead to the FWC as you will need a fishing license. Unless you are here the last Wednesday and Thursday of July or after August 6th, you won't be hunting spiny lobster, as the season is closed. You will need a lobster stamp to go with that fishing license if you are. We do however, have several other species of lobster with only "no take" for egg bearing females.

Can't help with area shops as I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

Craig

Thanks Craig, I forgot about the license! I will take care of that today! I don't know much about lobster species, but I will be in Miami all summer, so maybe I will get to try a variety. I know I like what I get a restaurants!

A license is a must. You'll need a saltwater license with the lobster permit. As I understand it, the rules have also recently changed for counts. Craig mentions the sport season in late July and the regular season begins in August.

Also check to see what kind of lobster you have consumed in restaurants. Maine lobsters are very different than Florida lobsters. I would visit Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission for more information and permits.

Ken

I am more interested in hooking up with some people or a person who has done this. The license isn't a problem. That way they can show me how it is done, and take me out.

We have Spanish lobster that are similar in appearence to spinys, but are much smaller and mainly only caught at night. We have two species that look like giant roaches, one has a smooth shell, the other is rough. I call the smooth shelled one a shovel-nose and the rough shelled one a slipper.

Speaking Spanish would be a great help in Miami.

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom