Scubapro S-Tek Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yoda4x4

Contributor
Reaction score
I have just bought an S-Tek with the RecTek bladder. Since I'll be doing a number of cold water dives, I've been told that I'll need approximately 20 lbs of weight (I'll be wearing 7mm wetsuit w/5mm shorty, hood and gloves also). Where do you guys/gals put your weight on this BC?

In addition, I have bought two 7 lb Dive Rite soft weights and will attach them to the D clips on the sides with two quick links. The remaining 6 lbs will go in the integrated weight pouches on the sides of the main belt. Does this sound like a good way to do it? This is the method my LDS recommended. What do you all think?

Thanks,
David

Yoda4x4,
Even though I am a huge fan of ScubaPro, what you are doing has numerous problems.
Not knowing what type of diving you are planning to use this rig for makes giving you a concise answer difficult.
What type of cylinders are you planning to use?
How did you determine that 20lbs is the approximate weight you will be carrying?
Having the weights quicklinked at your waist could make trim an issue.
The usual suspects will be along shortly to expound on the religion of BP, Wings and Harness. I tend to agree with that solution because you can get the weight distributed more evenly.
The bottom line is - IMHO you are being sold a convoluted configuration that will be extremely difficult to dive. A heavy SS Back Plate with Wings will be a much cleaner starting point to adopt a streamlined configuration. You can attach trim weights to your tanks and not be tromping around with soft weights attached to your waist that are designed to be used attached to doubles.
Dive Safe,
Larry

I have an S-Tek/X-Tek that sits in the closet unused because it is such a POS. I would get rid of it if possible.

You solution sounds way to complicated. Clipping weights everywhere is not such a great idea.

A good SS BP/Wings setup would help get some of the weight down while being durable and streamlined.

Assuming that the Diverite 7 pound soft weights are running parallel to your spine along each side of the tank on your back, the weight distribution should approximate a 9 pound heavy backplate with a 5 pound heavy STA. There are quite a few people around here using 9 pound backplates with 6 pound weightd STA's which would put you in that approximate range in terms of back mounted weight.

By the way, my approach to the problem would be to use a pair of trim pouches on the top tank band with about 3 or 4 pounds of weight in each one and dispense with the soft weights. There is a possibility that the soft weights may move around depending on the exact mounting method. However, I prefer to avoid custom weights because I travel a lot and do not want to drag lead with me.

As someone above mentioned, we don't know enough about your complete set up to advise in detail. However, some of the other posters are trying to read the worst into the description of your rig. If my assumption is correct, it does not sound convoluted to me. I would have to guess that you are also using a steel tank as you are going to be wearing Michelin man amounts of neoprene for which 20 pounds of weight would only be enough for a very skinny person if an aluminum tank was in play.

As you may have noticed, there are quite a few people around here who are in love with backplates and think that everytning else is a complete piece of junk. Many divers who post in this forum have an agenda and among the backplate users this agenda is unusually strong. Do not get upset with their comments. After all, who are they to you.

I use a Transpac 2 and I am quite happy with it. It is similar to the S-Tec. I also mount weights on my top tank band, but I just thread the tank band throught the weights. Its effective, and uses standard weights that are on every dive boat.

As for those of you whou have some unused gear in your closet that you hate. Please PM me and I will provide an address where you can ship it to. You may rest assured that it will be put to good use.

Leadweight,
Good recommendation to Yoda4x4. Also, all donated equipment goes to the little sisters of the deep. The funds then could go to send us to Cozumel for some missionary work on the dive boats.
Dive Safe,
Larry

I'm not sure that it would be moral to sell or even give away my old X-Tek.:D

leadweight once bubbled...
:) :rolleyes: :D :wink:

You guys are too much.

I know you really want my X-Tek leadweight...

Tell you what...I'll even sign it for you!!

Get your display case ready!! (Take the pictures of Urkel out first!!)

(Please stop asking me to send you a signed BP...That one is off limits!)

HA, HA, HA

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom