HELP!!!! Cracked Pressure hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrg7243

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I own a set of Sherwood Bruts, and up where the pressure hoses connect to the First stage, the hoses have started to crack. The one I can see some of the copper wire inside and the other I cant. I would like to know if I need to replace these as I am diving this weekend and need to know. I am taking them in for a inspection tommorow and I dont want to have to buy hoses if I dont need to since the shop charges an arm and a leg for the stuff.

I own a set of Sherwood Bruts, and up where the pressure hoses connect to the First stage, the hoses have started to crack. The one I can see some of the copper wire inside and the other I cant. I would like to know if I need to replace these as I am diving this weekend and need to know. I am taking them in for a inspection tommorow and I dont want to have to buy hoses if I dont need to since the shop charges an arm and a leg for the stuff.

So let's break this one down.

FACT: These hoses supply air for you to breathe
FACT: Without air you will die.
FACT: The hoses no longer meet OEM specifications
FACT: No one is going to be able to tell you when or where or at what pressure any of those hoses are going to fail.

If it was me I would be replacing these before any diving and if you were my dive buddy I probably wouldn't be diving with you until you did. I always plan for a worst case scenario. Do yourself and your dive buddy a favour and get them replaced, how much money do you want to place on your life and possibly someone elses. If anything it makes for a better piece of mind.

Welcome to the board.
If the rubber has started to crack, yes you need to replace them. Will they fail, most likely not but unless you are pool diving, I would not test fate. Why risk a day of diving for hoses you are going to have to replace anyway. It is an easy process you can do your self if you can use a wrench. You can have them fed Exed from one of the on line vendors. Scuba Toys is a long time sponcer of the board and well respected by many of us, I am sure they can help you get what you need fast if you give them a call.
I do wonder about the condition of the reg itself. Hoses take a long time to fail, are you certain the reg is in divable condition?

It actually makes things pretty exciting when a low pressure hose explodes right behind your head during a dive, kinda feels like someone tagged you as hard as they could with a nice stiff fin. And after a couple of minutes you can hear things again too!

Yes, I did have that happen. And Yes- you do need to get them replaced. Might not go bang like mine did but why risk it?

Mine didn't have any noticeable cracks before it let go- split the rubber outer cover for about 6", the metal braid underneath held so it just fizzed a lot- no catastrophic loss of air.

Definately don't dive with defective hoses. When were the regs last serviced? If you bought the regs used and don't know the history than don't dive them until they ae inspected and serviced. If the hoses show neglect than the regs may have been neglected internally too. Shops will usually replace them during overhauls if they show any damage. Hopefully you have had the regs serviced regularly.
You might consider replacing them with some nice Myflex hoses. They will give you greater flexibility than a standard hose. Myflex now makes HP as well as LP hoses. At overhaul time I recommend Myflex hoses on any reg that doesn't have a 2nd stage swivel like the Atomic.
Larry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom