Unfamiliar (scary?) dark water; hmmm....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DC53

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After OW certification I recently went to the Caribbean for a week of diving. 18 dives later including wall dives, swim throughs, a real easy wreck penetration (following right behind a Mexican DM with an estimated 6,000 dives), all between about 50 and 90+ feet down, in 79-80 degree water with 150 feet of visibility and my comfort level was really good. Incredible is too weak a word for the experience. Now back home there is a first quarry dive in DARK brown green 50 degree, 10 foot visibility water wearing 7 mm everything. Descent was following an assigned buddy who fortunately chose to go only down to around 40 feet and I was more shall we say, apprehensive, than on the very first plunge off the boat into 70+ feet of ocean water. Any recommendations on adjusting to this new and unfortunately home environment?

Just dive with some experienced people and you will get acclimated soon...that is the kind of diving we do in VA all the time :)

Once you get comfortable with dark, cold water, diving clear blue water will be cake!!

just keep on diving and take it slowly

and save for your next vacation

:)

I will agree with above posters. I dive cold low viz water. It has taken me almost a year and I am finally approaching a 100ft depth. Most of my viz is around 8-10ft. But like said if you can handle cold low viz....warm great viz is piece of cake. BTW not to rush you to going deeper in low viz but I found out that after around 65-70ft where I dive viz improves to 20-25ft. Take is slow and stay in your own comfort level and you will get it!!

Dive a lot. Getting used to functioning in reduced visibility and light just takes practice. I look back on my certification dives and think I must have done them in some of the worst viz Puget Sound ever gets, but in reality, I think I've just gotten used to it.

Compass navigation becomes very important in low viz, so it's worth practicing a lot. Focused, high intensity lights are REALLY useful for keeping buddies together and for communication. And the key to cold water is good exposure protection, because if you are cold, you aren't happy and you aren't having fun.

Keep at it -- I think you'll find that just being weightless underwater is fun enough, once you conquer the collywobbles.

That quarry stuff gets real spooky. IWhen I was a kid living in Connecticut, I found an big old abandoned rock pit that I went diving in. After the first 5 feet, it was total, unlightable blackness because of all the particulate matter. That was where the first thermocline was too - ice cold, thick black water. After that, in the black, you started hitting the tips of tree branches down there brushing against you.
I think they were tree branches. Brushing against me. Trying to caress me deeper into the black unfathomable depths. I was maybe 12 then, so two dives were enough for me and my imagination. I can still get creeped out thinking about that spot.
My recommendation for you to adapt to your new dive environment is to move.

It's all mental.

You've got a regulator in your mouth and it's giving you air, right? No worries. :)

A little bit at a time. When in the water try to focus on something (you said 10' vis), the bottom, your buddy, anything.........remain still, relax, allow eyes to adjust, get breathing under control..... the breathing is important ..... if you are apprehensive you will take larger breaths and begin to yo-yo in the water which will make you feel even more out of control. Relax and get comfortable with one spot, then move a little. You probably don't have experience with a dive reel but this can help a little also by helping to reduce the "lost" feeling and allowing controlled exploration a little bit at a time. Probably best to practice this in clear water along with the modified kicking necessary to reduce entanglement risk - get someone to show you. Dark water takes practice - use your brain not your guts.

These silly replies telling the OP to "move" are counter productive and unnecessary. Hooray for you that you live in Florida(or wherever). Some of us love SCUBA, but have lives that root us in places where our options for weekly dive sites include cold, dark, and low viz water.

I certified in this type of water and have been diving in it for the past year, and there are many skills that you must focus on and get comfortable with to have fun in the environment. Stay positive, stay focused, and don't let this attitude of "move your whole life to dive in better water" get to you. If you love SCUBA, the challenges will be fun and exciting to work with and hopefully you will end up a safe, smart diver from them. Take more classes, and dive with those who dive in these conditions weekly. Stay positive about it, as you gotta play the hand you are dealt.

Just trying to help a brother out, yo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom