How much can an Instructor expect to make?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divemaster-K

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking of taking the next step and going pro, more for fun than a career, but still, how much can a part-time instructor expect to make? How about equipment deals? Boat deals? Etc... ? I'm certain this has been asked before, so please feel free to point me to the correct thread.

Thanks.

Thinking of taking the next step and going pro, more for fun than a career, but still, how much can a part-time instructor expect to make? How about equipment deals? Boat deals? Etc... ? I'm certain this has been asked before, so please feel free to point me to the correct thread.

It probably depends on where you go and who you work for. In non-resort locations the answer is generally "enough to cover the cost of driving to class and getting something to eat when you're done."

Teach only if you like it, and get a real job if you need money.

Terry

I would expect to stay in negative numbers for quite some time.

All the best, James

Being a full time instructor is a lifestyle choice
To give you some idea Red Sea figures we are talking about 700-1200 € including commission per month and the tips are not generous. This market tend to be based on salary plus commission.
With that money you can make a decent living in Egypt but you definitely get rich.
The next steps of dive centre manager or owner may be more rewarding however also more risky looking at the number of dive shops going bust because they are managed by enthusiastic divers with no business acumen

Thanks.

I work part time as an instructor for fun and I make enough to cover expenses, including gear maintenance etc and maybe a bit more :wink: That's not why I do it though. I do it purely because I like to do it.

If you have to work it out in terms of money per hour then don't be bothered. You'll make more money per hour with much less risk and lead-time/expense by shaking the oil out of the french fries at McDonalds.

R..

Q: What's the difference between a scuba instructor and a large pizza?

A: A large pizza can feed a family of four.

:D

Q: What's the difference between a scuba instructor and a large pizza?

A: A large pizza can feed a family of four.

:D
Not being an instructor, I can actually afford a large pizza. :)

I did become a DM to assist my instructor buddy doing Trimix classes, so we can recruit divers into the tech realm in our area. It costs me the price of insurance, gas and some snacks. We don't do it for the money, we do it because we have a passion for the sport. Just a few years ago you'd be hard pressed to fine a set of doubles in our area, or even a bp/w. Now there are several divers at the site with doubles, stages, scooters and trimix (still gotta mix it all ourselves). It's extremely rewarding to be a part of.

Unfortunately it seems that the people who I know (with exceptions!) who get into instruction for the money lose the passion for diving and rarely make up for it with the cash. Again, I've seen exceptions, but not many.

Back
Top Bottom