Low-pressure hose rotates at nut - is this normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trakker

Reaction score
My wife and I have an identical set of AL Legend regs, but whilst washing down recently I noticed something odd when pulling back the rubber boots over the octopus hoses where they are screwed into the first stages:

Whilst my hose is rigidly attached to the nut that screws in to the first stage (which appears normal), my wife's otherwise identical hose actually rotates in the nut. Is this okay, or should I be concerned about the potential for a leak??

I always thought that standard high- and low-pressure hoses were intended to be rigidly attached to the nuts at the end where they screw in to the first stage.

Maybe it's okay, but I'd be grateful for any thoughts on this, just for peace of mind.

A swage fitting should be tight on the hose (between the numbers of 3 and 4 on the scale). The hose you describe is not tight at the swage area and the rubber casing is more prone to wearing and eventually leaking or blowing out of the fitting.

It's time for replacement of that entire hose assembly.

I'd suggest marking or destroying the old hose to prevent it being returned to underwater service.

Dave C

Last edited:
It's not normal. Replace that hose before you dive again. If it's loose there's a chance that it will pop right off of the fitting and.... well.... you get the picture.

R..

A swage fitting should be tight on the hose (between the numbers of 3 and 4 on the scale).

Dave C

Guys, many thanks for the swift replies. It's not the rubber hose that's rotating within the swage fitting (i.e. at the point shown between the numbers of 3 and 4 on the scale in Dave's diagram) -- the swage fitting at that point is tight on the hose, so no worries there.

Rather, it's the swage fitting itself (together with the hose that's rigidly attached to it) that is rotating where it meets the nut (i.e. at 1.5 on the scale in Dave's diagram).

Should I still worry or is the swage-to-nut connection not intended to be a 'hard' joint?

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Bottom line is nothing at that end of the hose should rotate, much less easily. If you really had to twist it hard to get it to rotate, then it's probably OK but if it rotates easily the crimp in the swage is not as tight as it should be. It might work well for years but if it were mine it would be replaced.

Should I still worry or is the swage-to-nut connection not intended to be a 'hard' joint?

It's not normal for it to be able to move once it's been crimped tight. I would still recommend replacing it. You just can't be anal enough about these things.

Best case nothing happens but worst case and it separates during a dive which would give your wife an unbelievable smack in the the back of the head and/or neck from hose coming off and cause a uncontrolable free flow, none of which falls under my definition of "diving is fun". :)

R..

Thanks again all, point taken. I wasn't sure how the hose ends are assembled onto the nut, but I since found this thread (and revealing photo), which would appear to indicate without much doubt that if there's any rotational movement at all at this joint then there may well also be a possibility that the hose and swage might at some stage pull right off the 'barbed' side of the nut.

I will indeed take your advice and replace this hose. Pah - it's a brand new reg too.

Thanks everybody once again for your good advice.

Then you're in luck. If it's a brand new reg it will be under warranty and the repair will cost you nothing.

R..

Then you're in luck. If it's a brand new reg it will be under warranty and the repair will cost you nothing.

R..

Absolutely. I must admit, at first I thought I might be worrying about nothing, but not so. I'll definitely have my LDC check this out before this is used again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom