Dive Lingo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

down4fun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So it has been ppointed out to me that my vocabulary might not be as good as it could be in reference to diving.

The floaty thing that takes me to the dive site and back...boat
the square end of the floaty thing..stern
the pointy end...bow
the side rails sometimes with entrance points...gunwhales
the back wall...transom

critter lingo
lobsters have antennas not tentacles
they are nurse sharks not nurf sharks.

I wear fins not flippers

please feel free to joing in the sarcasm and educate me so that I might speak appropriately.

Last edited:
I've been wearing flippers since 1958.

I use hep cat lingo, Daddy-o. I also speak Jive.

Ever heard of M.U.P.P.E.T. ?

Always good to understand local differences in terminology as well. For instance the term "buddy" is used differently in different parts of the world.

In the FL Keys "buddy" might be used such as "This nice person I just met is going to be my buddy today" or you might see a DM put his two index fingers together to indicate "Pair up with your buddy."

However...

On a boat off NJ the term "buddy" is used differently, with associated hand signals as well. For instance you might hear "Hey buddy, that's my spot!" or "Hey buddy, get your hands off my gear!" Underwater, you might see another diver flash you a one-finger sign to indicate "Hey buddy, you just spooked the big blackfish I was gonna shoot!" In fact this sign has transcended diving to become popular among non-divers along the NJ Turnpike and other local roads to indicate things such as "Hey buddy, you just cut me off!"

I've tried to broaden the NJ usage and hand signals of the term "buddy" wherever I dive around the world. In fact, here we see a dive guide in Truk lagoon picking up on this nuance to say to me "Hey buddy, thanks for 'repairing' my split fins!"

Todd3.JPG

:D

Fart = off-gassing.

what exactly is a "stroke" when referring to a diver?

A diver who is unsafe, for any number of reasons. Lots of history and acrimony surround the term.

Not to mention that:
rope = line
floor = deck
downstairs = below

... :)

I'd really like to see a Nerf Shark, however - that would be way cooler than a rubber duckie!

don't throw up in here, but you can poop in here = head :shakehead:
Starboard side = long way of saying right side
Port side = fancy way of saying left side

A diver who is unsafe, for any number of reasons. Lots of history and acrimony surround the term.

...in fact, I suggest you do not use that term to refer to an unsafe diver until you understand that history and, more importantly, understand why some anger might be unfairly directed at you for using it.

I have a habit of pronouncing words as I read them.

gauge = gawwwwge, not gage :idk:

I feel your pain :sad:

Back
Top Bottom