latex seal safe sunscreen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sschlesi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A couple weeks ago I had to wait for a while in the sun before going diving. I applied sunscreen liberally to my face and neck. Yesterday I pulled out my suit to go diving and noticed that the top 1/2 inch of the latex seal is all sticky and obviously degraded. My cuffs are pristine just as my neck seal was a couple weeks ago. I'm sure the sunscreen is the cause as it was not around my wrists, and it was the only change in my dive routine.

Does anyone know of a sunscreen that will not cause this problem?

I liberally applied seal saver, and the stickiness initially went away, but is back today now that it has dried off. Any suggestions to prolong the life of my now damaged neck seal?

Many oily products will dissolve latex and neoprene. DEET, which is found in insect repellent, is a major offender, so is WD40. It is best to keep anything with any kind of oil in it far away from your dive equipment.

If you need to use sunscreen before using your suit, look at the formula and use only the ones that use water as solvent. Today most of the sunscreen use oil so you can go in the water in a beach or pool without loosing sun protection, but for your suit it is a killer, so if for some reason the formula does not specify the solvent but it says it does not go out in the water, probably this is not good for you.

A couple weeks ago I had to wait for a while in the sun before going diving. I applied sunscreen liberally to my face and neck. Yesterday I pulled out my suit to go diving and noticed that the top 1/2 inch of the latex seal is all sticky and obviously degraded. My cuffs are pristine just as my neck seal was a couple weeks ago. I'm sure the sunscreen is the cause as it was not around my wrists, and it was the only change in my dive routine.
@sschlesi:
I use Neutrogena Sensitive Skin SPF60+ sunblock. It's waterproof, sweatproof, hypoallergenic, and won't clog pores. It's non-greasy and doesn't smell nasty. I only use it on my face. Generally, I'll apply it just before driving to the dive site. It can be kinda pricey, but I like it...and I don't think it degrades my latex seals.

Sun exposure on dive days can be a big issue here in Southern California. Sun protection begins even before I get to the dive site. Generally we plan to do our weekend dives early in the morning. We'll avoid the middle of the day since it can be intolerably hot at that time.

On a hot day, I take the sun into consideration in selecting an area for gearing up. Either we'll find the shade of a few trees...or a very thoughtful dive buddy will bring his sunshade. It is a good idea to time your gearing up with the rest of the people in your dive group. If you're a divemaster, it would be prudent to wait until the rest of the students get geared up before crawling into your gear...since you'll likely be a called upon to help a student with one thing or another. You really don't want to be the guy who's sweating like a pig in his drysuit while futzing about with a leaky o-ring. Assemble gear first, then get into your drysuit. As a side note, be aware of the symptoms of heat exhaustion and heatstroke and stay well hydrated.

I always keep a wide-brimmed hat packed in my dive bag. The brim of the hat is enough to keep the sun off of my face and neck. Mine lacks metal buttons since I find myself wearing it on/around saltwater, which causes metal buttons to corrode in no time. I won't take off my hat until I don the rest of my assembled gear. Yeah, I know it looks funny...but I don't care.

Fortunately the water is cold enough (50 - 60 degree F) to wear a drysuit hood and gloves -- that takes care of everything but my face on the surface kick out on a shore dive. The superduper sunscreen takes care of that. After the dive, I break my gear down and get out of the sun as quickly as possible.

In the middle of summer when temps get up in the 80s and the water heats up a little, I'll pull out the old 7mm and give my drysuit a rest. :)

This is just a thought but is it possible that you left the drysuit out in the sun post-dive? How/where did you store your drysuit in-between dives? Ozone and/or extreme heat can degrade the seals. After doffing my drysuit, I store it out of direct sunlight. Once I get home, I rinse the seals with fresh water and every few dives a little bit of mild soap. I live in an apartment so I have to dry the drysuit over the shower bar in the bathroom. With this kind of maintenance, my standard thickness neck seal usually lasts about 1.5 years and my heavy-duty, bottle-type latex wrist seals last 3 years. I don't use any "seal saver" type products.

Hope this info helps...

The sunscreen I used was Neutrogena Ultra Sheer SPF55. It claims to be water proof and oil free.

The suit did sit in the sun for an hour, but only half the seal was exposed to the sun and the problem is a perfect ring all the way around the top of the seal. Everything was packed up and rinsed at home promptly, as normal. The suit is stored in a spare bedroom as it always has been, I would expect the wrist seals to show some degradation if there was a storage problem.

In future I will be very cautious about sunscreen on my neck.

I have washed the seal and applied seal saver. Any additional suggestions to stop the problem advancing are appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom