Diving Private Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradv23

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a boat that I am planning on diving with a few friends. I am going to get the roll control or some sort of tank rack but without having a bench to sit on and put the BC with tank on what do you guys do? I am thinking more about the women that will be coming that have a hard time on the big dive boats with the huge ladders and hand rails plus someone helping stabilize the tank. Any advice would be appreciated.

Gear up/down in the water if conditions allow.

"We need a bigger boat."

Team up. One person stabilizes the rig on the gunwale or floor, the owner dons it either against the rail or by kneeling on the deck where they can also brace themselves with one arm. If the guys can't don their gear alone, have them be first to get help, then help the weaker ones gear up. Otherwise have those needing help get rigged and then into the water to clear the deck for the second wave. Coming back, divers put their weights in the motor well, on the swim step if it's stable enough, or hand them to someone already on board. Then doff the rig and shackle it to a line or something suitable before climbing aboard. The stronger crew can haul the rigs inside.

We dive my wife and myself and rarely a couple of other divers from our 19 foot Whaler. I usually place her tank on the leaning post while she slips into the rig. Then I place mine on the leaning post and she steadies it as I slip into it--if I bother with a BC at all-- and then she goes to one gunwale and I the other and we back roll in. Coming out we step up a single pole scuba ladder:

DSCF0019.jpg

We use Roll Control to carry up to eight tanks:

DSCF0022.jpg

Generally a diver should be accomplised and capable and not requiring of nannying before diving from one's own boat, it can be rough, it can be wet, nobody will stop and help, you are on your own. Seriously, one important thing is to learn to anchor or tie to the reef balls without damaging the reef. YRMV.

bombstrangelove.jpg

N

Buy a big marine cooler, its about the height of a bench and for between dives you can grab some beverages or sandwiches.

What kind/make of boat do you have? Size, etc?

We dive from a 31' (you can guess the make if I tell you I'm not 31 nor do I live in Jupiter) - we rig up tanks for the 1st dive before we leave the dock - we have lines in the water so people can attach their tanks, inflate their BC/c and climb up w/out gear if they want. Very good idea if you have a small boat, small ladder or both.

One person holds the others tank on the gunwales; a back roll and you are in the water - we normally do wrecks in Miami so we anchor; in Jupiter you are going to do drift diving so tow a flag; don't depend on following bubbles.

I have a 25' Parker with the Armstrong swim platform. Size and space on my boat isnt really an issue for the number of people diving. I have the 3 step ladder to get up to the platform. I have my mom who will be diving with us who is 105 lbs and my fiancee who is 115 lbs. I cant see them being able to sit on the floor with the gear to put it on then stand up. I have a 100 qt yeti cube cooler that they would be able to sit on if i stabilize the tank for them. I like that idea. I didnt know if anyone set up the gear chucked it in the water and just put it on and off in the water and went from there. I was also trying to figure out some sort of bench system but unless you dedicate the space for it it doesnt seem like theres any sort of makeshift bench. I have a float with a flag and a reel for drift diving. No anchoring here. Dive flag for the boat. Upper station with controls to keep an eye easier.

One other issue with the roll control is the Parker Hull is 3 piece construction so unless i mount it to the transom it wont be flush out with the gunnel since it has the toe kick recessed back underneath. How have others dealt with this.

I have a 25' Parker with the Armstrong swim platform. Size and space on my boat isnt really an issue for the number of people diving. I have the 3 step ladder to get up to the platform. I have my mom who will be diving with us who is 105 lbs and my fiancee who is 115 lbs. I cant see them being able to sit on the floor with the gear to put it on then stand up. I have a 100 qt yeti cube cooler that they would be able to sit on if i stabilize the tank for them. I like that idea. I didnt know if anyone set up the gear chucked it in the water and just put it on and off in the water and went from there. I was also trying to figure out some sort of bench system but unless you dedicate the space for it it doesnt seem like theres any sort of makeshift bench. I have a float with a flag and a reel for drift diving. No anchoring here. Dive flag for the boat. Upper station with controls to keep an eye easier.

One other issue with the roll control is the Parker Hull is 3 piece construction so unless i mount it to the transom it wont be flush out with the gunnel since it has the toe kick recessed back underneath. How have others dealt with this.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/boating-equipment/284277-tank-holder.html

You can also look at suction tank holders - there was a thread a while back - see below- this way you don't have to permanently install tank holders - they also come w/ speargun holders too - saw them at boat shows; look like they work.

Here are some sites/further info

www.scubaboard.com/.../285732-suction-cup-tank-holders.html

www.splash.co.nz/.../TWO+TANK+HOLDER+-+SUCTION+MOUNT.html

cgi.ebay.com/SCUBA-TANK-HOLDER---SUCTION-MOUNT-W%2F-NO-DAMAGE_

www.leisurepro.com/Prod/MHSUSH.html

casanovasadventures.com/catalog/dive/p1190.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom