Lobster report in Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaynie04

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Been out recently scouting my spots, have not noticed the numbers that I have seen last year and prior years...Anybody been out scouting upper keys agree?

Last edited:
seems like every year I read the same thing, but every year I get tons of bugs in the keys... *knock on wood*

thanks for the report though, anyone else?

Will be there in one week. My buddy is there now, he said there is nearly 40 keeper lobster under our dock. Hopefully our offshore spots will b the same.

was at a spot about a month ago (spearfishing) and could have easily went over limit with decent size lobster from the numbers we saw. maby your spots are just over picked

I am going to be camping in the keys for mini season. Would really appreciate some lobstering advice.

I know that those of you that have done this often have your "spots" where you successfully harvest. what can you tell a newbie about things to look for that will help in my learning this new activity and discovering my own spots? Please help..

I grew up in the midwest hunting and fishing freshwater now enjoying the new experiences here in FL..

Also anything that you can share about safety that may seem elementary to experience that I should know...

Check your air, time and depth before continuing with your dive after bagging (or losing) a bug. Easy to lose track of these things when you get excited.

If your new to the keys, stay shallow, looking for bugs anywhere upto 30ft.If on the bayside, do a lot of dragging looking for color changes in the water where there might be shallow to slightly deeper ledges. On the ocean, look at a chart that has some reef markings and again drag looking for rocky,ledges any type of structure,althought stay away from the "casitas" you can get a fine if you are caught...good luck..

We normally lobster out of West Palm Beach, but it is getting progressively worse every year. I have heard that the Keys are much better now. Is that true? If one sees 40 under a dock, it sounds pretty good:)

I normally dont see that many, but because the law passed that prohibits any lobstering under docks or a certain distance from shore, I see more and more each year. There is easily 40 under there right now that are legal, i just went under to test my dive gear out, and was like holy S**T!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom