Spearfishing Report - 7/19/2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Recharge, MrXRay, Brandon and I thumbed our noses at the weatherman and hit the water at 8:00 Saturday morning.

We hit the Russian Freighter first to find it well-stocked with grouper and snapper. Fortunately for them, they had learned a few tricks over the last couple of months. Without fail, every shootable fish would either flee into the Gulf or into the wreck as soon as they spotted a diver. Viz varied from 10 to 20, and the sun was not out yet, so it was a little on the dark side. I did briefly spot several very nice gags, and there were plenty of red and black snapper of respectable size, but even the little guys knew to stay far, far away from anything blowing bubbles. Barry did manage a single black snapper, which was impressive under the circumstances.

Once topside, we all agreed that Plan B was in order, so we headed to the PC Barge. We found a boat already anchored in, so I suggested we try to find something vacant. We decided to hit some reef modules, and turned the boat out to sea again.

Recharge and I splashed first to find 15-35ft viz and a nice cool thermocline at about 35ft. As soon as I spotted the reef, I chased down a red snapper and added him to the stringer. There were plenty of red snapper, a few mangroves, and some legal triggers on the reef, but they were spread out along the reef, and could be found anywhere from 60 to 90 feet of water. I added one more red snapper to the stringer before I hit my return point. I really need to invest in a 100cf tank :dozingoff:

XRay and Brandon splashed next with their patented shark-attracting wetsuits. They ended up shooting another couple of red snapper and a black snapper before a bull shark showed up to sample the hor'dorves they had prepared for him :popcorn:

XRay got some footage of the shark and they both got to keep their catch (and their fingers and toes). Hopefully Barry will post his pics and video soon as my shots are nothing worth writing home about.

Nice video. I see you changed your angle of the camera. Did you try to jump in with the dolphins?

I basically have my camera tray attached to the butt of the gun, so I can adjust it a little. More if I add an arm, but this is the build I'm sticking with (until you can figure out how to mount a camera on a railgun :wink: )

Wait 'till you see Barry's video :shocked2:

We didn't try to swim with the dolphins. It never seems to work :depressed:

OK.... Here's the scoop! Cameras as a natural deterent for sharks seemes to have only taken me so far. I'm very happy to say that we did get to play with a nice BUll Shark which was about 5 feet. We were at our second dive of the day and Brandon and I had each taken two fish. The snapper were starting to get very curious about or presence and all the activity and were starting to approach, I asked Brandon how much air he had as he was stringing his fish and he asked me to hold on a second, that's when I saw him roll in from the North, Slow and low. I immediately unstrung Hetlands Gun (I lost my shaft on the Russian Freighter), and hung the bands over my arm so I could focus on my video taking. Brandon signaled me that he was done shooting and we jsut kind of hung out and watched the shark for a bit. As you can see he started to move in a bit closer so we thumbed the dive and headed up where he followed us to a bout 40 feet making a couple of closer passes, but never followed us past 40 feet. A great Shark encounter only to be rivaled by the fact that I got video worth posting and no one was hurt! It was a great time had by all with some nice fish in the boat to boot!

Vince Whibb Shark on Vimeo

Alex, How did you get the video thumbnail to post, all I get was the link.

Awesome encounter! I'm very jealous of the vid, but glad you got it safely.

I made my own thumbnail from my video editor, posted it as an image, and linked the image to the vid.

No bumping involved in this encounter so I kept my fish and my dignity. In fact I cooked the fish last night.....Yummmy! :D
OMG, Xray kept his fish? :D

Thanks for the report

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom