new BP and wings...got questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterDawg

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey divers,

I just got a new Halcyon Pioneer sys #27. Im sooo happy right now. I havent dove w/ it yet and Im sure it'll be very diffrent than my Zeagle. So I wanted to know if anyone has any tips or things I should expect in the upcoming dives?

Im wearing a weight belt (hard) and got a SS back plate.
How about mainenace? Anything special I should be doing?

How do you guys like yours?

Expect to go "hot damn" like I just did on Tuesday. Put the first tank strap just under the crest at the top of the tank... if you're used to putting a tank on a regular BC you'll end up stuck staring at the bottom if you're horizontal :wink:

Putting it on and taking it off is much easier than I expected.

I'm liking mine just fine so far! 4 OW dives on it and a couple of pool sessions. Still some trim issues to iron out, but it feels much more stable than the old jacket. For me, I had to move the tank further up in the straps, as I am fairly leg heavy (either that, or my head is more full of hot air than I like to admit). I'm diving a 6.5mm 2-piece wetsuit & a steel LP95. One thing that I found was that in order to vent air from the wing using the LP inflator, I need to tilt my body up a bit from horizontal, otherwise the wing won't vent. So I've been getting used to using the rear dump as well. The rear dump vents A LOT of air very quickly, so be careful with it. These are just a few of the 1st impressions. Hope this helps.

-Roman.

You will be able to drop some weight from your belt, approx. 6 lb. Position the shoulder rings up high enough that when you bring your arms in together the rings don't dig into your arms and chest.(near the clavicle bone) Play around with the tank placement on the plate, it is a great way to fine tune your horizontal trim. Make sure the crotch strap is not tight, and flip the ft. crotch strap d ring inside the strap so you don't catch it on anything. Shoulder straps should be kinda snug, but not tight; you want to be able to move and not be hindered by a too tight harness. Remember that you can slide your weight belt up or down on your waist a little bit to adjust your balance as you use up your gas during a dive.

The backplate/wing combo has great balance, from the first dive, but..., take the time to fit it to your body, that is an important step. There are some different websites that detail the fitting process if you need additional help.

Have fun!:)

Use the rear dump. Don't fully inflate at the surface. Release the air from the wing when you go to get out of your harness.

to where you want them, trim the webbing off rounded and then burn the ends. As they melt, smooth them with your finger to get a nice clean edge. The rounding looks neater and helps with threading the webbing into your buckle. I like it better than a square end. R

You're starting to sound like SeaJay, RavenC... :)

www.baue.org has some good tips on fitting a backplate and harness correctly - shows images of how to adjust the shoulder strap length, etc. It's something you want to do before you get anywhere NEAR the divesite.

is that good or bad? R

Scubaroo once bubbled...
You're starting to sound like SeaJay, RavenC... :)

Jeff & UP helped Bwerb & I fine tune our new BP/wings set last week friday & after diving in them all weekend I have to second jonnythan........
" Expect to go "hot damn" "!:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom