LDS tank rental policies?

Does your LDS charge rental feels on days they are closed?

• Yes, my LDS charges me a rental fee for days they are closed.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • No, my LDS does not charge me a rental fee for days they are closed.

Votes: 47 90.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heavyjeffd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I frequent two LDS in the area. One is much farther from me, and unfortunately it is the one I prefer, so I can't always get there and it is really impractical for tank rental. Let's call them Shop A.

The one I generally rent tanks from is much closer, near work, etc. but they aren't the friendliest bunch sometimes and charge a good be more for tank rental (read on). Let's call them Shop B.

Shop A's rental policy is pretty straighforward and more of what I am used to. If you pick up a tank at the close of business on Friday, you are only charged for Saturday since they are not open on Sunday (not giving you the opportunity to return it nor them the opportunity to rent it). So if you pick up two tanks on Friday at say 5PM, you are only charged for Saturday for two tanks.

I found this policy very fair and considerate to their customers. I just wish Shop A wasn't an hour in the wrong way from everything else in my life.

Shop B's rental policy charges you for the days they are closed, even though you cannot return and they cannot rent said tanks. They also charge $2 more per tank and have been pretty snotty towards me on more than one occasion. Unfortunately they are extremely convenient for me.

I find it somewhat insulting to their customers and a bit of an underhanded way to make more money off of said customers by charging you a rental fee on a day you cannot return the tank nor can they re-rent it.

Am I just way off on this or do you guys have similar experiences? Is Shop B's policy just the way it is and I'm spoiled by the excessive kindness of Shop A?

Sorry to rant a bit, but I rented two tanks from them again this week and as usual, I'm paying for tanks on a day when I can't return them and won't be using them and they can't re-rent them.

Your dive shop has days it's closed??? :shocked2:

Well I guess our local shops are closed on the major holidays, and I'm sure that 24 hour period doesn't count.

There, no poll needed!

If your dive shops don't close, I'm moving where you are! haha

I'd have to agree that Shop B's policy sucks and is unfair to you. I can't really say if the shops I use would do this as I have rented over days when they are closed, but my experience would suggest that they won't charge me for those extra days. Too bad Shop A is so far away.

I guess the question is, are you using the tanks Sunday as well?

I mean I get what you're saying that it really shouldn't matter to them: either way they can't rent those tanks, however, if you are using them then you're really not being screwed out of any money. However, if you only plan to use them on the Saturday and get charged for the Sunday just because they aren't open, then I'd be pretty upset.

Most dive shops around me are open 7 days a week, so it's not a big deal.

I am sorry to hear that shop B charges for the extra day. I have never been to a shop that charges for a day that they are not open. It is not fair to the consumer to be charged extra if your return falls on a day that they are closed. Did the shop give a reason for charging on the day that they are closed? I would be curious to find out.

Back
Top Bottom