Ft. Pickens camping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrmccoy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I looked onlne and couldn't find a stright answer if the road to the campsites are open to vehicle traffic yet.
i'm trying to get a budget trip together for Aug. 8-11.
Are there any other campgrounds around that area or decent hotel's to stay in?

Yeah, its all primitive right now.

You can also camp at Johnson Beach(on the beach), but you can't drive up to where you camp. You'll have to hike in about 1/4 mile.

I was there in June. There was water to the campsites but not much water pressure. The bathrooms at the campground were closed but they had port-a-potties. Still no electricity at the sites.

What about showers? I think I saw something about showers around the ranger station.

The only showers that I know were working were a couple of outdoor showers at the bay side picnic area.

I emailed them and the said no showers or restrooms just "portable toilets". I found henderson state park but there is nothing to dive there. Then I found the Big lagoon state park......I'm sure there is nothing to dive here. Has anyone visited these parks?

Henderson has a beach, nothing really to dive though, just sand. The campsites are all the RV type spots, think peagravel bottomed campsites.

Big Lagoon is adjascent to the intercoastal waterway, not really anything to dive there either, but its close to the bridge, which can apparently make a pretty decent dive at times. Short drive out of the park.

Across the intercoastal from Big Lagoon is Johnson Beach, it has primitive camping only and requires a hike to get to where you are allowed to camp. There's diving on the very end of the the beach, near Fort McRae, in the form of steel jetties. I promise you that you won't want to walk your gear that far(several miles of sand).

St. Andrews and Ft Pickens are the only campsites I know of with beach dives attached to them in this area.

Dunno the rules at the new Alabama State Pier, but if they allow beach diving, you could always camp across the street at the State Park in Gulf Shores?

Henderson has a beach, nothing really to dive though, just sand. The campsites are all the RV type spots, think peagravel bottomed campsites.

Big Lagoon is adjascent to the intercoastal waterway, not really anything to dive there either, but its close to the bridge, which can apparently make a pretty decent dive at times. Short drive out of the park.

Across the intercoastal from Big Lagoon is Johnson Beach, it has primitive camping only and requires a hike to get to where you are allowed to camp. There's diving on the very end of the the beach, near Fort McRae, in the form of steel jetties. I promise you that you won't want to walk your gear that far(several miles of sand).

St. Andrews and Ft Pickens are the only campsites I know of with beach dives attached to them in this area.

Dunno the rules at the new Alabama State Pier, but if they allow beach diving, you could always camp across the street at the State Park in Gulf Shores?

Thanks for the info! My g/f and I will be in destin to finish up her OW cert. Aug. 8-10. I am also looking at grayton beach state park agian no diving but it looks like a nice place. A friend of ours will be in gulf shores at the same time so we might venture in that direction after her check out dives. I don't mind primitive camping but wouldn't want to be salty that long:D

I actually preffer Grayton for tent camping, they have dirt to set up on rather than pea gravel :) The beach and park is more secluded, rather than smack in the middle of Destin(Henderson). There is also good food and live music(usually) within biking distance.

Henderson or Grayton will both have showers in the campsite areas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom