I suggest practice choking in pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JJTNJ

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just did my first open water, guided tour dive in over twenty years. I had taken a scuba refresher last month so that was helpful.

What I learned:

a.) Don't forget that if using the purge button to clear water, use your tongue to stop water going into your mouth, causing you to cough. It's scary to be in a coughing, swallowing water situation 30 feet under the water. I suggest practicing this in a pool a lot so that if it happens under the sea you'll be cool.

b.) Your buddy can't be relied on. I did a final check with my buddy and I was dismissed as if I was a waiter asking if he wanted more coffee. He said, "I've done so many dives, I'm ready." He didn't check me either so I did a final check of myself. He was by my side for the swim to the dive site, but once down there he was off on his own. I'm glad the divemaster stayed by me.

c.) Once in the water on your belly, you can probably tighten the weight belt a bit more than you could have on land.

d.) make sure your rental fins are tight. I lost one and had to pay the company 65 dollars.

e.) Swimming back to shore I actually got seasick because the kelp is swaying one way, the particles in the water are moving another, and the sea is undulating another, while I'm moving straight. So I lifted my head and focused on the shore. I didn't experience the seasickness while scuba diving. But at the shallow surface it's a dizzying effect. I've never heard of that happening to anyone.

f.) Okay, don't laugh. The zipper on a wetsuit goes in the back. heheheh

I'm so glad I got this dive under me. I look forward to more and more dives now that I'm back in action with scuba.

The divemaster was very helpful and I tipped him 40 dollars.

I certainly hope that you learned to qualify your buddy and your current level of experience and training prior to a dive?

Diving in a dangerous environment ie: non active diver + kelp + the possibility of fishing line entanglement entrapment + loss of equipment and or buddy?

Unless you are looking to earn a Darwin I would suggest that you give your dive a good post dive accident analysis including safely managing the adjustment of weights and gear at depth- which could have easily turned into a uncontrolled assent given the OP.

I hate to be so critical but you laughingly describe a post dive that could have easily been used to analyze a dive that resulted in your injury and or death.

I certainly hope this post is useful to you....Wecome back.

Last edited:
a.) Don't forget that if using the purge button to clear water, use your tongue to stop water going into your mouth, causing you to cough. It's scary to be in a coughing, swallowing water situation 30 feet under the water. I suggest practicing this in a pool a lot so that if it happens under the sea you'll be cool.
Practice purging, not choking, right (as your title suggests)? Yes, purging your reg is a basic skill all should master before diving.
b.) Your buddy can't be relied on. I did a final check with my buddy and I was dismissed as if I was a waiter asking if he wanted more coffee. He said, "I've done so many dives, I'm ready." He didn't check me either so I did a final check of myself. He was by my side for the swim to the dive site, but once down there he was off on his own. I'm glad the divemaster stayed by me.
Actually, your buddy can be relied on. You didn't have a buddy, just some guy in the same water as you. Once you realized he was not going to team with you, you choose to continue the dive solo.
c.) Once in the water on your belly, you can probably tighten the weight belt a bit more than you could have on land.
If it's high enough up on your waist, you should be able to tighten it before you enter the water. But you are on the money that a loose belt can be tightened in the water. Although in-water tightening might really be worth doing, it is worth note that every time you unlatch your weight belt buckle underwater, you add a small risk of dropping it and doing an uncontrolled ascent, which is why I prefer to do it right before entering the water in the first place.
d.) make sure your rental fins are tight. I lost one and had to pay the company 65 dollars.
I would say, make sure you own and bring your own fins, with straps that won't break (springs are best) and are already sized to your feet, and that you have practiced quickly and easily donning. Your own pre-sized, well maintained fins and mask are the very least one should own and bring, IMHO.
e.) Swimming back to shore I actually got seasick because the kelp is swaying one way, the particles in the water are moving another, and the sea is undulating another, while I'm moving straight. So I lifted my head and focused on the shore. I didn't experience the seasickness while scuba diving. But at the shallow surface it's a dizzying effect. I've never heard of that happening to anyone.
Yeah, the motion of the ocean can be interesting! :D
I'm so glad I got this dive under me. I look forward to more and more dives now that I'm back in action with scuba.

The divemaster was very helpful and I tipped him 40 dollars.
Welcome back! When I refreshed some years back I did as many dives as I could with more experienced divers, and I learned so much that really helped! I still get to do this and I've never stopped learning. :)

Thanks, all.

Just to reiterate, I further tightened my belt when I entered the water at shore. So even if it had fallen, it was only three feet of water, easily retrievable. But I have learned that I want it fully tightened BEFORE entering the water.

Also, I did not dive solo. When my "buddy" was elsewhere, I had the divemaster right there. So it's not like I chose to continue doing a dive alone. I would not be that risky.

And yes, my original post is in a joking tone, but make no mistake that I take safety and learning very seriously.

In fact, the purpose of my post was to help other beginners out there to practice purging. I say take out the regulator and practice purging again and again and again.

I had practiced it and so I was confident in the equipment. But nonetheless it's still somewhat scary coughing and swallowing water at depth.

So learn and analyze and take precautions very seriously. Scuba and safety is no laughing matter.

Also, I would practice choking in addition to purging. Swallow/ inhale a bit of water and then recover from coughing in a controlled pool environment. Purging is fine, but it feels a LOT different when you're swallowing water and feel you're choking. So to do it in a pool and know how easy it is to recover might be a good, comforting idea. God forbid that does happen to you underwater you will remember how easy it is to recover.

Thank’s for the clarification JJ. The tone of your OP certainly sent me down the wrong tunnel- hook line and sinker.... LOL.:wink:

Diving is supposed to be safe, fun, and educational. Looks like you’re doing all three.:popcorn:

Not sure if this is gimmicky or anything, but I bought a compensating weight buckle for my weight belt. Basically, it's a metal buckle which is spring loaded. As my wetsuit decompresses, the weight belt automatically adjusts. Just one small thing to not worry about.

And another failure point???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom