Dive Report Lake Martin Aug 2, 09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I went to Mama’s house yesterday for lunch. The ground was so wet that I couldn’t cut any grass so we just sat and talked. She had baked pork chops, butter-peas, boiled okra, new potatoes, fried green tomatoes, fresh vine ripe tomatoes, cornbread, and a Chilton County peach for dessert. Absolutely nothing is better than taking a piece of fresh tomato on your fork and then an okra spear. If the Gods had a favorite dish it would have to have been that. Then we went out to the garden and picked the cherry tomatoes and I ate them one by one on the way home. Uncle Ricky stands by the fact that there are only two things money can’t buy – true love and home grown tomatoes. I feel fortunate to have both.

MM and I met at Kowaliga about two-thirty. We took a heading straight across the lake between the fiber optic cable and the bridge. I am really depressed to report that one of the old boats has been basically destroyed. The bowsprit has been jerked from the boat and I found it several yards away. Please be careful, these old boats have been there a number of years and are extremely fragile.

We dropped down to about forty feet going out and met with the first noticeable thermocline about 24 feet. This one is mild and easy to adjust to. The second, however, about 38 feet is mean and nasty. To go from water in the mid eighties to 68 degrees is an eye opener. We found nine pair of sunglasses, a cap, two tee-shirts, and an artist’s pass to the concert. Visibility was about twelve feet throughout the dive. Talk about feeling good, rising above the thermocline is totally awesome.

I used a low-pressure steel tank that was made in 1977. These old tanks are the sweetest. Light weight and enough gas for a great dive. We did a maximum depth of 50 feet for a total dive time of 58 minutes and I still had 800 psi remaining. MM used her high pressure 72 and we won’t talk about how much gas she had left.

It was raining hard when we surfaced so we stood there talking until it quit. We sat on the tailgate and talked to a Russell security guard and an employee of the marina. Then we headed home.

Lake Martin, great dive, fun, relaxing, and best of all it’s free.

Great report Tommy.. Thats a shame people cant keep their hands off the old fleet.

I have been wanting to try Lake Martin. Do you enter from the shore or would I need to bring my boat? Also where do you dive? I'm not real familiar with Lake Martin.

Back
Top Bottom