divemaster tax deductions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

docmartin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
went diving this past weekend and one of the operators tried really hard to sell me on getting a divemaster certification. he told me that the tax advantages would make it worthwhile. according to him i would be able to deduct dive trips, equipment purchases, etc. That certainly sounds tempting but is it true? equipment seems to make sense but a dive trip that i would go on for pleasure i.e. not as a divemaster accompanying some group sounds a bit too good to be true. also would i not need to show some annual income from my divemastering? how much would i need to show to convince the irs that i am legit? he also told me that i could even just get a snorkeling instructor certification in a couple of days and be eligible for many of the same deductions.
any information you might have on this somewhat dry topic of taxes would be most welcome.

Was that advice from an accountant? I got my instructor cert last year and yes, some things are deductible but a lot aren't. As for what proof you'll have to show for any deductions? None, unless you get audited, then you better have all of it. Any gear you that you buy and deduct you better be able to prove that being a dm is the only reason you bought it and don't use it unless it is almost exclusively for dm work.

If you want to go into leadership for the education and experience of helping divers then by all means go for it. It is very rewarding and a lot of fun. If you're doing it for money, then I have a great bridge that I'll let you have real cheap.

The insurence alone is several hundred dollars. I think he was just trying to sale a class.

Lots of issues...

As a business you have to show a profit within the first 5 years I think. Also, are you your own entity or are you working for a shop? The IRS will look differently on each side. You could be considered as an employee or an independant contractor. Is the little bit of money you make worth the effort or chance of an audit......or for that matter, the IRS paperwork alone?

As a business expense on the personal side your deductions have to be higher than 6% (I think it's 6%) of your overall income. In other words....if you make $35,000 at your real job....will you have $2100 in DM business expenses? And if you do have more than that or fudged it a bit...... do you want to take the chance of tripping an IRS audit?

I am not an IRS agent, nor am I a tax expert, but I've got a very knowledgeable friend who has done the research.

As a casual DM......buddy, it ain't worth. Consider it a hobby/job and enjoy it and take the perks in shop benefits.

Your best bet is to see your tax atty or get a copy of the IRS regulations and start reading. The IRS doesn't care what your buddy on scubaboard or at the shop told you.

Docmartin,
Everyone's comments are appropriate.
The insurance is about $150 while you're in training and increases to around $350 per year once you get certified.
Will the LDS give you key man discount while you accumulate the gear to wear in class. They will want you to be a poster boy for their equipment lines for the students.
What work does the shop want you to do for them as a DM? Trip leader? Assistant instructor? OW certifications or confined water sessions? What are they wanting to charge you for DM class? What is their instructor/student/DM ratio's?
Just a few things to check out.
Good Luck,
Larry

I know an instructor who told me you should depreciate new gear over several years if you want to claim it on taxes as well.

I'd check that with a tax pro also.

Me, I'm a DM but I don't get anything except the occational free boat ride, free fills and sometimes breaks on gear prices that I could easily still beat online but usualy buy at the shop anyway...

On the flip side, I pay insurance (through TDI so it's MUCH cheaper than PADIs but still...) and PADIs & SDI/TDIs anual dues etc. to keep my DM certs current.

So far, I havn't bothered to try to claim any tax breaks for DMing but I know I've already passed over 6% of my salery this year on diving so maybe I'll look at it and see just how much difference it makes come next tax time and decide then.

I also know I won't be spending nearly as much over the next few years as I shouldn't need to replace the 4 regs / drysuit / 2nd BC / etc. that I bought this year... tri-mix 1&2 certs were not cheap either. (ouch!)

The only way to get the deductions is if you plan on being a " Working Dive Master" If so you may deduct the course cost, insurance, you may depreciate your current gear you have as it is used in conjuction with your DM duties, you may write off milage to and from your dive sites, and gear that you purchase. Now you must concider how often will you be working as a DM how much money you will bring in as a DM and being self imployed you will pay a 15% off your toatal gross for self imployment tax. May not be worth it if you will not be doing a lot of actual *Working DM" I am an Independent Instructor, I claim all the above plus much more, but you will need a tax person give you the full run down.

Haven't been "self-employed" for a few years, but last I looked there was a still an Section 179 Election to Expense deduction that allowed you to take all of the cost of otherwise depreciable items purchased for business in a single year lump sum. It just can't exceed your income~ you can't use it to show a loss

Let's see~

How many people do I know (not divers, by the way) that have "started a business" .... "Sold" just enough to actually show some income, purchased equipment , showed a zero net or loss, and when the time came, just "folded" the business & went on.

You'd be surprised....

As long as you don't abuse the tax laws, there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking full advantage of the Tax Code..

Personally, I consider it my civic responsiblility and duty to pay the absolute minimum tax required within the rules.

Don't know how the insurance is structured. If it's just lump sum, or income based, etc., and tha might affect how you wanted to report it. But I also think it would actually be correct to report the fair market value of the air, and rental tanks, etc, provided by the shop as income. This could go a long way to showing a profit>

But, if you're not an accountant, and haven't run a business of some sort, and understand all the implications of that other than just the taxes, it could be more than you want to tackle.

And I think (unless they changed it fairly recently) self emplyment tax is on the net, not the gross~ it's after the schedule C dedutions.

The first rule of income taxation is that personal expenses cannot be deducted from income. Section 162 of the Internal Revenue Code (the "Code") authorizes the deduction of "all the ordinary and necessary expenses paid or incurred during the taxable year in carrying on any trade or business." It's pretty broad. However, Section 183 of the Code limits deductions for activities that are "not engaged in for profit." Section 183 is designed specifically to prevent recharacterization of non-deductible personal and hobby expenses as deductible business expenses. The main issue that has evolved from these Code sections is whether the taxpayer has a "profit motive."

Reg 1.183-2(b) lists nine nonexclusive factors by which the Internal Revenue Service (the "Service") will measure the taxpayer's motive:

(1) Does the taxpayer carry on the activity in a business-like fashion?

(2) What is the level of the taxpayer's expertise with the activity, and does the taxpayer attempt to become more experienced and knowledgeable in the activity?

(3) How much time and effort does the taxpayer expend in carrying on the activity?

(4) Is there an expectation that assets used in the activity may appreciate in value?

(5) How successful has the taxpayer been in carrying on other similar or dissimilar activities?

(6) What is the taxpayer's profit/loss history?

(7) How much profit is earned?

(8) What is the financial status of the taxpayer, e.g. does s/he have other sources of income?

(9) What is the degree to which the activity is primarily related to personal pleasure or recreation?

So the first question is whether you are doing something to make money, or whether you're just messing around. Section 183(d) of the Code contains a presumption of profit motive if an activity shows a profit in three out of five years. Therefore, if you show a profit from the activity for three of five years, you will probably not face any challenges from the Service concerning whether your "business" is really a hobby.

Even if you do have a profit motive, there are limits to which you can offset business losses against ordinary income. Ordinary income for individuals is their salary, wages, self employment income and active business income. If you are engaged in what is called a "passive activity," you can only offset passive activity losses against passive activity gains.

The passive loss rules were designed to wipe out tax shelters. Those tax shelters related primarily to property leasing. Under the most common tax shelters, a bunch of doctors and dentists (for some reason, the participants in the tax shelters always seemed to be doctors and dentists) would form or buy into a limited partnership that leased real property to third parties. Leasing real property is a great way to generate paper losses because you can depreciate structures and do some other neat things to mess around with the bottom line without costing you real money. So at the end of the year, the limited partners would receive a "phantom loss" from the limited partnership that they could use to reduce income from their regular business activities.

Congress enacted what became section 469 of the Code to deal with that problem. Now, you have to show that you engage in business activity (1) regularly, (2) continuously and (3) substantially in order to avoid application of the passive loss rules. So if your divemaster activities are not "active" even though you show "profit motive," you will not be allowed to offset losses from the divemastering business against ordinary income--like your salary.

Likewise, business travel expenses are subject to various limits, specifically to prevent recharacterization of personal vacations as business trips.

Assuming your divemastering qualifies as an "active" business activity, you might not be able to deduct the full amount of your equipment purchases in a single year. Reg. 1.461-1(a)(1) generally requires that when a cash method taxpayer makes a payment to acquire an asset that has a useful life substantially beyond the current taxable year, the taxpayer is required to treat that payment as a capital expenditure. However, under section 179 of the Code, you can elect to "expense" up to $24,000.00 of capital assets under certain circumstances. Generally, small businesses without many capital assets can qualify for the section 179 election.

This area is fairly complicated, and it can't be addressed in a brief post (as the foregoing should demonstrate). There are all sorts of misunderstandings about business deductions generally, and you can get yourself into trouble by relying upon someone who isn't a tax professional. Spend an hour with your accountant or a tax attorney if you're serious about trying to deduct scuba-related expenses as business-related expenses. It's money well-spent.

Back
Top Bottom