where can I dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish-tanked

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, I am new to the site, but have been diving a while (5 years). I feel a little silly for asking this question, but I really want to dive more often, even weekly, and I live in the mountians! Where can I dive? I'm pretty sure I can't just jump into any body of water I see (though it gets tempting sometimes!) and it gets time consuming and boring to dive the same quarries every time... What regulations/laws/etc. govern the selection or use of sites for scuba? Is trespassing the only thing I have to worry about? Please help!

Help us help you. Where do you live? Which mountain range?

Ron

Two things, first some more information in your post or profile will allow people to help you.

Second, go to the regional board for the area you live in. That's usualy the best source of information and local knowledge for an area here on SB.

Good luck and happy diving.

BTW...as far as diving the same quarry all the time, I look at that as a an opportunity to both improve your skills (think of it as a driving range for divers) and meet a lot of great people and expand both your scuba knowledge but also your pool of dive buddies and circle of friends. I've met some fantastic people at the local mud pit that are not just dive buddies, but also social friends.

Diving the same site everytime can be boring, but it can also be quite exciting. While familiarity can breed contempt if you let it, you can also use your deep knowledge of an area to find more and more interesting things that others miss because they lack that same depth of knowledge.

A guy I know dives local quarries quite extensively. He's taken to becoming something of an underwater geologist. Diving with him is a really interesting experience as he'll rummage around in what I see as a pile of rocks, and when we get to the surface he cracks open a fantastic geode. Me, I saw a brown rock. He saw an amazing spectacle.

Where do the other divers in your area dive? If there's a body of water that nobody's diving, there's usually a good reason. Before you plunge into any unknown site, do some research and avail yourself of local knowledge. While tides are not an issue for you, currents, entanglement hazards, boaters, dam releases, and even pollution are all possible risks you need to anticipate. And if you're in the Tennessee mountains, hillbillies with rifles. <cue banjo music, pig squealing>:D

Hello, I am new to the site, but have been diving a while (5 years). I feel a little silly for asking this question, but I really want to dive more often, even weekly, and I live in the mountians! Where can I dive? I'm pretty sure I can't just jump into any body of water I see (though it gets tempting sometimes!) and it gets time consuming and boring to dive the same quarries every time... What regulations/laws/etc. govern the selection or use of sites for scuba? Is trespassing the only thing I have to worry about? Please help!

first.......... please fill out your profile, it will better assist people here on SB in answering your questions.

second.....what mountains, what is your nearest city for renting tanks?

third....do you own your own gear?

fourth....SB is a very large website with Forums for all areas of the US and also countries around the world. You will be able to find dive information for your area here, with a little exploring. :D

robin:D

Depends on where you live... I live in the Canadian Rockies and lets just say there aren't that many interesting things to see in the water here. But, training and practicing here can make you a very good diver. Practicing masks skills in 40deg F water for instance. Contour following of a shallow, fine silt bottom lake without making a mess. While dissappointing not getting to see spectacular sealife, you can focus on practicing your skills while compounded by altitude and cold.

Sorry if I caused any confusion... I guess I should have put up more info. I posted on this forum because i'm not looking for regional info as much as general guidelines. I live in Central Virginia, in Lynchburg, and do know many of the local diving areas. I wasn't looking for info on the usual quarries and such, but rather how to, or whether I can jump in to less frequently dived areas.

I don't mind if there aren't extraordinary displays of marine life, I just want to explore a bit. I'm an aquarium nut, particularly interested in aquatic plant life, and would love to identify, observe, or even collect some specimens of the local flora. I would certainly evaluate any potential site for hazardous conditions, and wouldn't jump in if I even felt a little uneasy about it. I'd just assume a diver could raise a few eyebrows, and don't want get into any trouble going on an outing with some dive buddies.

Back
Top Bottom