Proper gear storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StacyT

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a question on how every stores their gear, when not in use. I've been hanging my gear in the garrage, but it gets extremely hot, and I don't think that it's a good idea. How does everyone else store their gear when not in use?

For convienance and ease in storing and hauling it, I bought one a "dive bag" on wheels with the telescopic handle. When my gear is not in use, it gets packed in there, nice and neat, then stowed away in a closet. Some people like to hang thier exposure suits and BC's up on hangers, my gear is never packed away long enough for that to become necessary as I average 4 to 6 dives a week.

If you don't want to get fancy, I've seen tivers buy those HUGE tupperware tubs and lids, they stow all thier gear in those and get one of those 8 dollar wallmart dollies to lug thier stuff around with and bungie cord the tub to the dolly. Pretty smart I think.

-Dennis

Yup, I toss everything in a mesh bag, then into a big tupperware container, and leave it indoors. Gear is pretty resistant to any weather or conditions.

You are not really suppossed to store your gear in a Garage, because the heat/cold variances are not good for it. You should store it in a place with a constant temperature, and no moisture.

Dale

I hang it in the garage. Rise, and hang. It's ready to go the next dive. No creases, no folds, no long term damage. I've heard all of the arguements about being damaged where there are solvents, and gasoline, but after 10 years of doing this without any problems, I shall continue to do so. Of course I dive 3 to 4 times a month so the stuff is used very regularly. When I'm ready to go, it comes off the hangers and into my wet box, into the truck. Back into the wet box after the dive and home for the rising, and then hung again.

I hang my stuff too (just not in the garage). BC is hung, Regs are hung, and Wetsuit is laid out flat (after it has dried). The other stuff (fins, boots, mask, etc) I put into a rubbermaid container and store in the same room.

as for the garage storing, I would rather be safe than sorry... just my thoughts..

Dale

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom