I panicked numerous times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cathyt

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Newbie here,

Just recently I went on a fun dive and had a very difficult time. This was the first dive without an instructor and my buddy is very new also. The dive site was a pond which was very murky and I could only see a foot or 2 in front of me. The depth was probably not even 40 feet, but each time I descended I panicked. I forced myself to stay down for a few minutes but was very uncomfortable (could not clear my ears, could not see, breathing very hard). I probably ascended too quickly a few times.

This really bothered me. Not only that I could not work through it but also that it happened at all.

I am trying to figure out how to equalize my ears better bc that is something that makes the descent uncomfortable, as for getting back in the water, there is another dive coming up the end of the month that I should attend. I think getting back in the water soon is important however, I was freaked out!

All suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Take another class that will put you in with an instructor (be honest with the instructor about your feelings), especially good might be a buoyancy class.

Maybe you should find some experienced divers to go with you on your next trip. Being on the edge of panick is not a good thing-it is worse if your buddy is an inexperienced diver.

Did you have these issues in training and did you get certified in those lakes?

If your ears don't clear-don't dive that day. Go up a little, equalize and try heading south again. remember to equalizer early, often and continuously.

Try to buddy up with someone with more experience. Not to become dependent but to learn from. Is there a dive club around? Maybe try a few dives in "easier" conditions. Go slow.

Welcome to diving!

I'm really sorry you had the experience you did. It shouldn't be that way.

I would recommend going back to the people who certified you. Tell them you are not comfortable in the water, have issue equalizing and would like better training on buoyancy control. You paid for these skills, they need to deliver.

Diving should not be painful or scary, but lacking adequate skills can certainly make it so. A solid OW course will teach you these skills and help you to master them. Mastery of the fundamental skills is key to comfort. 'Freaking out' is something that should have been resolved prior to checkout dives. In all honesty, they should not have certified you.

While you can learn to dive from a mentor, I'd put some heat on the shop that certified you to do their job.

Newbie here,

Just recently I went on a fun dive and had a very difficult time. This was the first dive without an instructor and my buddy is very new also. The dive site was a pond which was very murky and I could only see a foot or 2 in front of me. The depth was probably not even 40 feet, but each time I descended I panicked. I forced myself to stay down for a few minutes but was very uncomfortable (could not clear my ears, could not see, breathing very hard). I probably ascended too quickly a few times.

This really bothered me. Not only that I could not work through it but also that it happened at all.

I am trying to figure out how to equalize my ears better bc that is something that makes the descent uncomfortable, as for getting back in the water, there is another dive coming up the end of the month that I should attend. I think getting back in the water soon is important however, I was freaked out!

All suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Regroup and don't be hard on yourself. My second day of OW training dives was awful, raining, cold and NO VIS. I got through it, but did not enjoy it! I went with a buddy I trusted and got back in a pool and went over all of my training exercises again. I feel so much better and am going diving in Cancun in September.

I understand the PANIC thing, when you are used to the VIS in a pool or a clear area and you go to NO VIS it is easy to panic.

Trusting your dive buddy is a big deal for me also, even though we are all responsible for our own safety, try to dive with someone you feel VERY comfortable with.

First, you didn't panic. If you had panicked, you would not have "forced yourself to stay down for a few minutes."

You need remedial training. I would not recommend going back to the same instructor who didn't teach you correctly the first time. Odds are they won't do any better next time. Interview instructors and pay particular attention to their answers about confidence building skills.

One thing to do is to not put yourself into situations where you are not comfortable.

Also, low visibility situations do not sound like much fun. Unless there is some over riding purpose to the dive, why do them?

I would think that such a low visibility situation is beyond the training of an inexperienced diver. You really should not put yourself into that situation.

PatW:
One thing to do is to not put yourself into situations where you are not comfortable.

For many divers, that means stop diving. The key is to expand the comfort level.

Cathy,

I notice you are in Ann Arbor. I am Bloomfield Hills. There is an excellent shop in your area with some first rate instructors. I did my Dry Suit specialty course with them and they encouraged me to join them on some additional dives (an inprogress rescue class) to increase my task loading and thus enhance my drysuit skills. I really appreciated this. PM me if you wish more details. If you took your original cert course with them I know they'd help you further. If not, they are worth getting to know.

While you haven't indicated whether these problems existed (and were not resolved) during your open water course, I would definitely seek additional training. I would also encourage you to seek out experienced divers early in your career. Your learning will continue indefinitely and you and your buddy will both be safer for it.

You should be very pleased with yourself for passing a very big hurdle though.. that is managing your stress to create a positive outcome. Well done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom