Dizziness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBrianScubaTeam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a newer diver. About 20 dives. The past few times I have been diving I have been getting fairly dizzy. It happens 1 or 2 times a dive over the passed 4 dives. And I feel a little sick for about an hour afterwards. Not sure what to think of it. It almost feels like motion sickness. But the last time it happened I was in a spring with no current or waves. I have no problems equalizing either. Anyone else ever have this problem, or have any suggestions? I'm thinking about trying dramamine next time. Thanks!

Well... I guess you could say that the good news is that it's fairly common so you probalby don't have anything wrong with you that will cause you to have to stop diving.

Generally speaking, dizziness under water is often caused by either a pressure or a temperature imbalance between your ears. If it's happening a lot and persisting between dives (which is the likely cause of you feeling unwell after the dive) then there's probably a blockage somewhere.

My advice is to consult an ENT (doctor who specializes in Ear Nose and Throat conditions) and see what they can find. Whatever you do *do not* self medicate for this condition. Some drugs have vastly different effects under pressure (ie under water) than they do on the surface.

Good luck.

R..

The symptoms of dizziness can vary widely from person to person. I've experienced this at times after immersion in cold water, but as your in Florida, I doubt that this is the problem. Assuming that ear squeeze is not the problem, I'd suspect motion sickness. I would however be hesitant to take any medication that would make you drowsy while diving, but you know your body better than anyone. If this persists I'd get an MD to check you out. Sorry I can't offer another suggestion.

This happens to me on nearly every dive. It is like an underwater seasickness without throwing up just dizzy/lightheaded. The only thing that has helped it is Dramamine. The other motion sickness meds have not helped me. Dramamine's active ingredient is Dimenhydrinate (50 mg per tablet), and Bonine's active ingredient is Meclizine Hydrochloride (25 mg in each tablet). I have never gotten especially "drowsy" from the Dramamine although I always am tired after a whole day of diving. To prevent this on an early morning dive I take one tablet the night before and one more tablet an hour before we get in the water.
Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for you replies. I believe I will try a ENT Dr. Unfortunately Dramamine makes me pretty tired. So I will not try that route. :) I have never tried the Bonine before. I could take one and see how it works one day when I am not diving. Thanks for the suggestions. Kinda glad it's not just me, but also sorry that others feel the same way. Kinda screws up your dive.

Do you use a hood? I have this problem in cold water with out the hood. I know 70 don’t sound cold.

No, I am in FL. So I don't see to much 70 water, unless I go to a natural spring. I was thinking about trying the earplugs for diving to help keep my ears dry though. I don't know if it would help or not.

One question is, once you get out of the water, is the feeling you have one of spinning or whirling, or is it a feeling of being lightheaded and feeling like you might pass out? Do you have a headache when you get out of the water?

Whirling or spinning sensations are related to issues with the inner ear. Those can be asymmetric pressure equalization between the two ears on ascent (most common) or actual injury to the inner ear (which would be unlikely to resolve in an hour).

Lightheaded feelings, associated with headache and nausea, would be more likely to be caused by CO2 retention from ineffective breathing.

Of course, we don't know anything about your medical history or your age, so dizziness and nausea might be caused by something either not dive-related at all, or simply exacerbated by the conditions of diving (heat, dehydration, exertion, etc.)

Seeing a doctor seems like a reasonable first step.

No headache's after diving. It is more of a spinning/motion sickness feeling. I will see a ENT Dr. before I go diving next time to get checked out. Thanks.

That's vertigo if its happening while diving.. Have you had any pain from equalizing while desending? Do you have a loose hood that might be letting cold water mix into your ear?

If its after diving, it's possible you might have some water in your ear or possible CO2 exposure?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom