Help with drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okiediver#1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all, I need a little help with what kinda drysuit to get I been diving 10 years with well over 500 loged dives and numerious not loged but I am going to expand my diving time with a drysuit. I am diving lakes in OKLA&ARK in winter water temps probably no lower than 45 to 50 degrees. What kinda suit do I need made of what type material and so. I have never been in a drtsuit and know nothing about them so all help is good help. I am a spearfisherman and plan to use this suit in the pursuit of flathead catfish also if that makes a difference. I will be in brush and rocks while hunting.
Thanks in advance

Cold water diving is a lot of fun, glad you decided to expand.

As for drysuits, you'll be looking for a crushed/compressed neoprene suit or a cordura suit. Both styles of suits have proven to be more rugged than their trilaminate counterparts.

If you don't plan to travel and don't mind longer drying times, I'd look at a crushed/compressed neoprene suit. Neoprene is warmer than a cordura drysuit and as the result you can wear lighter undergarment for more flexibility.

Don't skimp on undergarment and consider buying a nice Otter Bay 12 mm hood.

I went from diving a crushed neoprene dry suit to a cordura shell suit. While the neoprene suit is warmer at the surface, it quickly loses its thermal properties as you descend and the neoprene is compressed. This also has a big impact on your buoyancy, as you will have different buyoancy at different depths, even if you fill/empty your suit with air to have a constant volume inside the suit.

The cordura suit I own is much easier to handle and store for traveling (if only to and from the dive location) than the neoprene was, and its buyoancy is constant no matter what depth you're at. It requires a little more insulation in the form of undergarments but it doesn't go from too warm to too cold when descending so it's easier to figure out how thick undergarments I need.

Oh, and you will most likely want to look into dry gloves if you're going to dive in cold waters often.

Go to an event like DUI's Demo Days and test drive several drysuits. Don't rely on the sales person at a LDS to sell you something without trying one and getting a proper fitting.

The outer fabric layer is a consideration, but the undergarments really make the drysuit. I use my drysuit nearly everywhere. I have several combinations of undergarments to suit the water temperature.

I went from diving a crushed neoprene dry suit to a cordura shell suit. While the neoprene suit is warmer at the surface, it quickly loses its thermal properties as you descend and the neoprene is compressed. This also has a big impact on your buoyancy, as you will have different buyoancy at different depths, even if you fill/empty your suit with air to have a constant volume inside the suit.

The cordura suit I own is much easier to handle and store for traveling (if only to and from the dive location) than the neoprene was, and its buyoancy is constant no matter what depth you're at. It requires a little more insulation in the form of undergarments but it doesn't go from too warm to too cold when descending so it's easier to figure out how thick undergarments I need.

Oh, and you will most likely want to look into dry gloves if you're going to dive in cold waters often.

Do you use Argon to fill your suit? I'm told that it helps keep you warmer than using air.

(snip!)...you'll be looking for a crushed/compressed neoprene suit or a cordura suit. Both styles of suits have proven to be more rugged than their trilaminate counterparts.

Don't limit yourself to just crushed neoprene, cordura or trilams. Look at the Whites Diving Fusion line of drysuits. They are storming the drysuit market due to their flexibility, ease of donning and doffing, and most importantly, their price! Their packages of shell, skin, undergarment and boots beat most other manufacturer's suit only. We just held a FUSION Demo Day over the weekend and they were overwhelmingly favored over their competitors by those that dove them.

Regards!

Don't limit yourself to just crushed neoprene, cordura or trilams. Look at the Whites Diving Fusion line of drysuits. They are storming the drysuit market due to their flexibility, ease of donning and doffing, and most importantly, their price! Their packages of shell, skin, undergarment and boots beat most other manufacturer's suit only. We just held a FUSION Demo Day over the weekend and they were overwhelmingly favored over their competitors by those that dove them.

Regards!

The recommendation for crushed neoprene and cordura was for durability reasons. OP says that he rubs up a lot on things.

I like the White Fusion, and it'd make a great back-up suit. However, I haven't heard about long term durability and wear resistance yet.

The recommendation for crushed neoprene and cordura was for durability reasons. OP says that he rubs up a lot on things.

I like the White Fusion, and it'd make a great back-up suit. However, I haven't heard about long term durability and wear resistance yet.

The Fusion suit my wife has (first edition) has help up very well so far. However, I really like my Whites Catalyst 360. Very tough, and easy to dive.

Do you use Argon to fill your suit? I'm told that it helps keep you warmer than using air.

Every little thing helps. There's a constant debate about placebo affects when used for recreational diving. But if the placebo effect keeps me warmer, then it works for me :)

I find that with Argon, a significant portion of the benefit comes from flushing the suit before the dive. Of course, if you're diving with an Helium, then Argon is an absolute must.

In order of importance for thermal protection, my order is:
1) Good undergarment
2) See 1)
3) Otter Bay 12mm hood
4) Dry gloves
5) Argon

With a good undergarment and Otter Bay hood, I'm fine for a 60 minute dive. For my longer divers, then dry gloves are a must. I like dexterity in the hands.

This is based on my Monterey diving conditions 45-55 degrees. I'd be interested what others in colder water think.

No offense, but was it truly a "crushed neoprene" (DUI trademarked product) or someone else's knockoff ... a compressed neoprene?

Pearce's crushed neoprene did not compress at depth and still held it's thermal properties.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom