Guitarfish - maybe a bit OT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Several years ago I was diving with a cattleboat off West Palm - the dive was over - I was low on gas and started my ascent. 15 feet off the bottom I looked down and saw what appeared to be a guitarfish lying in the sand. I decided not to go back (the current was bad) and I have always regretted it. Is it possible that I really did see a guitarfish in that location? Has anyone else seen one there? Are they common on the South Florida coast?

We saw a guitarfish snorkeling near the Commercial pier in Lauderdale by the Sea in May. I have heard that they are spotted in the area sometimes, but usually they are buried in sand and people don't notice them.

Several years ago I was diving with a cattleboat off West Palm - the dive was over - I was low on gas and started my ascent. 15 feet off the bottom I looked down and saw what appeared to be a guitarfish lying in the sand. I decided not to go back (the current was bad) and I have always regretted it. Is it possible that I really did see a guitarfish in that location? Has anyone else seen one there? Are they common on the South Florida coast?

It is possible you saw one. I'm not sure about how common they are, but they do live there. They live along the U.S. coast from North Carolina through the Gulf to the Yucatan.

I saw one on a shallow dive off of Key Largo several years ago. Havent seen one since.

I've definitely seen them in the area over the years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom