Lion Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

still new

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
With all the concern about Lion Fish infestation, what are we supposed to do when we see one (or More), do we kill it, do we attempt to capture it or do we just say wow what a nice looking fish?

I hear they're good eating.

I saw a lot of them in the Dominican Republic last week. My DM/guide told me that Lionfish were voracious predators and had posed a significant negative impact for local subsistence fishermen.

You sure don't want to touch one!

Unfortunately, they are changing our ecosystem as an upper class predator- like an attorney :D

But in the spirit of kindness and being new to the neighborhood you should make an introduction to them to your..

A. Speargun
B. Neighborhood shark
C. An all you can eat chinese buffet owner
D. All of the above

Kum bye ahhhhh

Yep, kill'em. But from a distance.

If you have the means to kill it, speargun or gig of some kind, go for it. From what I've heard they aren't hard to kill since they move so slow and they're pretty good eating.

. . . and now for the other perspective . . .

Understand your own risks in dealing with a lionfish. First and foremost is their ability to poison. I strongly recommend NOT touching a lionfish for your own safety as well as the safety of your dive buddy. We don't want dive buddies freaking out because you are injured by a lionfish. If you are trained (and properly equipped) AND are outside a marine sanctuary or other protected location, then go ahead and kill it. I don't know of anyplace that has a "hunting season" for lionfish.

. . . and now for the other perspective . . .

Understand your own risks in dealing with a lionfish. First and foremost is their ability to poison. I strongly recommend NOT touching a lionfish for your own safety as well as the safety of your dive buddy. We don't want dive buddies freaking out because you are injured by a lionfish. If you are trained (and properly equipped) AND are outside a marine sanctuary or other protected location, then go ahead and kill it. I don't know of anyplace that has a "hunting season" for lionfish.
Not that I advocate mindlessly killing lionfish, I do, but in addition to the above, said doomed lionfish should be considered a non-native/invasive species before doing so. And afterwhich, cruise on over to the Lionfish Recipes thread and introduce yourself.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom