Wrecks or Reefs in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in key west and did the reef dive. I'm sure people will say go to the vanderbugh. Yes the V would really be a sight to see BUT without Nitrox it's almost a waste of time compared to seeing something in shallower water. Some charters will also do a 1 wreck and 1 reef dive for a very fair amount.

The reefs IMO where really cool looking in all the little holes and seeing millions of fish in a natural habitat was really amazing.

There is alot of wrecks in the keys. The thing right now is almost every charter is only going to the V. I really wanted to see joe's tug but nobody was going out there.

Why limit yourself to wrecks or reefs? Enjoy both! Many ops will do a wreck for the first dive and a reef on the second. Be sure to ask where they are going when you call for a spot, though. Some will do only reefs if requested, and others will do double dips on wrecks if asked for. If enough people want to do certain sites, that's where they'll take you.

Enjoy your trip! The keys have beautiful reefs and cool wrecks!

Jupitermermaid posted exactly what I was going to post. It's not either/or, it's and!!! :D

I like Key Largo/Tavernier area. You are close to both wrecks and reefs.
Molasses reef was indeed beautiful my first of two four day dive trips to the keys, but now I want something a little more challenging.
The Duane, Eagle, Bibb, Spiegle Grove are a little deeper and really not for Open Water certified. If you have the training and experience they are fantastic dives.
Bill

What does it matter what most divers like? The question is what do *you* like? The good thing about the Keys is that they have excellent wreck AND reef diving. You can find a charter that meets your needs but you should call around and confirm in advance so you don't step onto a boat full of wreck fans if your thing is reefs, and vice versa.

I was on the Vandenburg few weekends ago... absolutely amazing dive... but as someone else mentioned it is deep so air is a bad idea...

QUOTE:
do avid divers like boat trips to the wrecks or reefs more?

YES!

Wreck and a reef.
Dinner and a movie.
Salt and pepper.
Peanut butter and jelly.

If in Key West, Drive 30 miles north and hit Looe Key if the weather cooperates.

Have a great trip!

Chug

I think the best diving in the Keys would be around Tavenier,Key Largo. Lots of good reefs and wreck to dive!

Key West has alot of night life and history. Fun stuff to do when you are not diving. The Vandenberg is a good dive if you are in the lower Keys But is a very new wreck with a small amount of fish and no corals or sponges yet! A bit deep high current and lower viz than the upper Keys.

Looe Key is a beatifull reef and worth diving if you have the time and are in the lower Keys.

Speargirl would be a great one to get some advice from about diving and staying in the Keys. I cannot remember the name of the post. But I remember there was a post Re: Keys Guide or something like that.

Good luck and have a great time in the Keys!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom