Grubbers, How do you...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greendiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok grubbers, when you have your arms up to your elbows or shoulders in the silt looking for "stuff" (I enjoy finding a bottle here and there) how do you keep the huge amounts of dirt out of your second, or any other equipment that is not normally to be exposed to large amounts of dirt. Do you just live with it and be extra particular during the post dive rinse?

...and what do you like to "discover" when your grubbing?

i get an extreme amount of sand in all of my gear that is not being used at the time. i just hit the purge on the octo and deco regs before using them, shake them a little, and purge them again. knowing i might get a mouthful of sand, i will put my tounge in the mouthpiece while taking a breath and see if i get any residue on it. if i do i will shake and purge again and then deal with it. when i rinse off my gear i rinse it good, under pressure.

might not be the best way, but it works for me

My buddy is always rummaging for old bottles and coins. He just does extra rinsing after the dive.

I love to hunt and scrounge. I love to look for shells or bits and bobs. Not much place here for coins or treasures [unless I'm couch diving] ... still in all I do kick a fair amount of sand and silt into my gear.

I rinse, soak, condition and rinse again.

I'm a true muck diver... I'm always at the bottom sifting through the silt!

I would suggest you learn to do basic dissambly of your second stages for a better than average cleaning. Just remove the front cover and diaphram to expose the internal area of the stage. Any sand or other unwanted stuff can easily be cleaned out. Most second stages are fairly easy to dissamble and many do not require tools, if you can remove a jar lid you can open up a second stage.

I dive rivers here around Savannah and get a lot of silt in all my gear. I purge and rinse (shake) the reg, then repeat. It's like siphoning gas...you are going to get a little in your mouth. After the dive I do a quick disassembly and cleaning of the second stage. Lots of clean water from a hose to rinse the rest of the gear.

Besides the cleaning tips I try to stay up current from what I'm looking for. If I have to dig a lot I sometimes mess it up, swim to a second site and return to the first after the silt settles a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom