When life gives you lemons....Make lemonade....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CheddarChick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well the Layoff notices are flying fast & furious in WI now. I got laid off, and it looks like Cheddarguy is next....So......If a sun/saltwater loving girl has a chance to go to FL (I have friends with a house in Englewood) for the month of Feb.....What do you think of the Englewood (south of Venice North of Ft Meyers) area????? Anybody know how the diving is and are there LDS that you love?????

Last edited:
Come on down!! You'd be close to Venice, and close to a couple of good dive shops!! and I know for a fact the weather will be nicer than in WI.!!!!

Come on down!! You'd be close to Venice, and close to a couple of good dive shops!! and I know for a fact the weather will be nicer than in WI.!!!!

Ditto that!!

Ditto that!!

My folks live on Englewood Beach. It has a very beautiful beach, there is shark tooth diving nearby, solid spearfishing offshore, and is very, very mellow. I love fishing Lemon Bay and around Boca Grande. If you are into fishing, boating, and nature its a great place to be. I love the water in Charlotte County.

Just know- we jokingly call it Wrinklewood. If you are under sixty you will be WAY in the minority come February. There ain't much going on later than 7:30 PM- even on Saturday.

CC-- If you are coming for the Diving... no doubt hands down East Coast WPB and South. The trick is figuring out how to afford to live there...

That doesn't take much:wink:

My folks live on Englewood Beach. It has a very beautiful beach, there is shark tooth diving nearby, solid spearfishing offshore, and is very, very mellow. I love fishing Lemon Bay and around Boca Grande. If you are into fishing, boating, and nature its a great place to be. I love the water in Charlotte County.

Just know- we jokingly call it Wrinklewood. If you are under sixty you will be WAY in the minority come February. There ain't much going on later than 7:30 PM- even on Saturday.

:D Kinda noticed that....But that is most of FL.......Did you do any diving in the area???

CC-- If you are coming for the Diving... no doubt hands down East Coast WPB and South. The trick is figuring out how to afford to live there...

:eyebrow: that's why we will be on the west coast....With trips to the east coast & Key West....

Well the Layoff notices are flying fast & furious in WI now. I got laid off, and it looks like Cheddarguy is next....So......If a sun/saltwater loving girl has a chance to go to FL (I have friends with a house in Englewood) for the month of Feb.....What do you think of the Englewood (south of Venice North of Ft Meyers) area????? Anybody know how the diving is and are there LDS that you love?????

Hey CC....I'm sorry to hear about your jobs. But just like you're doing look at it as an opportunity. That's what the Admiral and I did 7 years ago when we got laid off from our high tech jobs. Just don't be stupid and buy a dive shop.:D

I wish you both success on your new adventure and if in the area please stop by and say hi. Also if there's anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to call.

Good Diving,

:D Kinda noticed that....But that is most of FL.......Did you do any diving in the area???

I lived in Fort Myers Beach for about six years while working at Dean's Dive Center in south Fort Myers. In my opinion, DDC is the best dive shop in SWFL- many people on here will agree with me. Sadly the shop about 1.5 hours away from Englewood. I will, however, give a ton of respect to Fantasea Scuba in Port Charlotte- about 25 to 30 minutes from Englewood. They are truly a great shop, too. I would be sure to hook up with them if you want to dive the west coast.

So yeah- I have made a few dives in the area. Best diving I have ever done in Florida is about 30-40 miles offshore Lee County/Charlotte County. But Gulf diving aint for everyone, and in the same amount of time it takes to get that far offshore one can drive to Jupiter for some amazing diving too.

Quite honestly, February in Florida is pretty sketchy for diving. The Gulf is cold as hell and cold fronts frequently blow out trips everywhere- Keys, East Coast, West Coast, ect.. Watch the weather and be flexible and you will find a windows of opportunity.

As for "most of" Florida.... a bartender in Venice once told me, "Just remember our parents retire and move to Fort Myers, Naples, and Sarasota to grow old, our parent's parents are already petrified in Englewood,Venice, and Punta Gorda." :D

Dont take that the wrong way as I love the time I spent on Florida's west coast and expect to head back there when it is time. Good luck to ya.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom